Can Nonlinear ODEs Like F''+F'*F'-k*F=0 Be Solved Analytically?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation F''+F'*F'-k*F=0, where k is a constant and k>0 and whether there is an analytical solution for it. One of the speakers suggests that there is an analytic function that satisfies the equation, but it may not be possible to find an exact solution using calculus methods. The other speaker suggests an approach to solving the equation by transforming it into a first-order system, but this method may not work due to difficulties in finding a primitive of a conservative field.
bobls86
Hello,

How to solve the equation as follows:
F''+F'*F'-k*F=0, where k is a constant and k>0

Is there any analytical solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Certainly, there exist an analytic function that satisfies the equation. If by "analytical solution" you mean, rather, that there is a calculus method for getting an exact solution, I would suspect "no" simply because "almost all" non-linear differential equations cannot be solved that way.

Your equation is equivalent to a first-order system, if we let [tex]F = u[/tex] and [tex]F' = v[/tex]:
[tex] \begin{cases}\dot{u} = v \\ \dot{v} = ku-v^2\end{cases}[/tex]

From there you can quite easily find a first integral and then separate variables in the second equation:

[tex] \begin{cases}\dot{u} = v \\ \dot{v}^2 = v^4 + kv^2-kE\end{cases}[/tex]

Where E is a constant determined by the initial conditions.

edit: the function I found is not a first integral :/

Last edited:
Matthaeus said:
Your equation is equivalent to a first-order system, if we let [tex]F = u[/tex] and [tex]F' = v[/tex]:
[tex] \begin{cases}\dot{u} = v \\ \dot{v} = ku-v^2\end{cases}[/tex]

From there you can quite easily find a first integral and then separate variables in the second equation:

[tex] \begin{cases}\dot{u} = v \\ \dot{v}^2 = v^4 + kv^2-kE\end{cases}[/tex]

Where E is a constant determined by the initial conditions.

Thanks for your reply.
While I cannot see how you obtain the fourth equation: [tex]\dot{v} ^2 = v^4 + kv^2-kE\[/tex]
Would you please support more details?

I assumed you were familiar with the definition of first integral. A first integral for the system [tex]y' = g(y), g : D \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/tex] is a [tex]C^1[/tex] scalar function [tex]E : D \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] constant on every solution of the system. In other words, if [tex]\phi : I \rightarrow D[/tex] is a solution of the system, [tex]E(\phi(t)) = \mathrm{const.} \quad \forall t \in I[/tex].

It follows from the definition that the gradient of E is everywhere normal to the field g:
[tex]\nabla E(y) \cdot g(y) = 0 \quad \forall y \in D[/tex].

In your equation, [tex]g = (v,ku-v^2)[/tex]. A field normal to that is [tex]f = (-ku+v^2,v)[/tex]. The problem is, the equation I wrote yesterday is wrong because it is not so obvious to find a primitive of a conservative field parallel to this field f. I was too much in a hurry to check, sorry ;)

Related to Can Nonlinear ODEs Like F''+F'*F'-k*F=0 Be Solved Analytically?

1. How do I determine the order of a nonlinear ODE?

The order of a nonlinear ODE is determined by the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, if the equation contains a second derivative, it is a second-order ODE.

2. Can I use separation of variables to solve a nonlinear ODE?

No, separation of variables can only be used for linear ODEs. Nonlinear ODEs require other methods such as substitution, variation of parameters, or numerical methods.

3. How do I know if a solution to a nonlinear ODE is valid?

A solution to a nonlinear ODE is valid if it satisfies both the equation and any initial or boundary conditions given. It is important to check the validity of the solution before considering it as the final answer.

4. Is there a general formula for solving any nonlinear ODE?

No, unlike linear ODEs which have a general formula, nonlinear ODEs do not have a single method that can be applied to all equations. The method used to solve a nonlinear ODE depends on its specific form and characteristics.

5. Can I use a calculator or software to solve a nonlinear ODE?

Yes, there are many online calculators and software programs available that can solve nonlinear ODEs. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts and methods to interpret and verify the results.