Can Nanocontainers Occupying 2L in Bloodstream Be Considered Safe?

• Thread starter james3444
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blood
In summary, the conversation discusses the feasibility of a minimum volume of 2.0L occupied by nanocontainers in the blood, in comparison to the total blood volume in an adult being about 5L. The speaker mentions that they have already solved the question and checked the amount, but are confused as to why it is not feasible. They also question if the nanocontainers participate in respiration like red blood cells do and what would happen if a human lost 2L of blood.
james3444

Homework Statement

The minimum volume occupied by nanocontainers in the blood is 2.0L. Is such a volume feasible, given that the total blood volume in an adult is about 5L?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I already solved this question (parts a-e) for the minimum volume occupied by nanocontainers in the bloodstream and I checked that it is the correct amount. What I don't get is why it is not a feasible volume. The nanocontainers occupy less than 5.0L of space, so why would it not be a feasible approach.

Physics news on Phys.org
james3444 said:

Homework Statement

The minimum volume occupied by nanocontainers in the blood is 2.0L. Is such a volume feasible, given that the total blood volume in an adult is about 5L?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I already solved this question (parts a-e) for the minimum volume occupied by nanocontainers in the bloodstream and I checked that it is the correct amount. What I don't get is why it is not a feasible volume. The nanocontainers occupy less than 5.0L of space, so why would it not be a feasible approach.
Welcome to the PF.

Do the nanocontainers participate in respiration the way that red blood cells (RBCs) do? If they do not, what happens to a human who loses 2L of blood?

Related to Can Nanocontainers Occupying 2L in Bloodstream Be Considered Safe?

1. What are nanocontainers in the blood?

Nanocontainers are tiny structures, typically less than 100 nanometers in size, that are designed to hold and deliver various substances in the bloodstream. These substances can range from medications to nutrients and can be released into the body at a specific time or location.

2. How do nanocontainers work in the blood?

Nanocontainers are designed to have a specific shape and structure that allows them to circulate in the bloodstream without being detected by the body's immune system. They can also be coated with materials that help them target specific cells or tissues in the body. Once they reach their target, they can release their payload of substances through various mechanisms, such as diffusion or triggered release.

3. What are the potential medical applications of nanocontainers in the blood?

Nanocontainers have a wide range of potential medical applications, including targeted drug delivery, gene therapy, and diagnostic imaging. They can also be used to improve the effectiveness and reduce the side effects of current medical treatments, such as chemotherapy for cancer.

4. Are there any risks associated with using nanocontainers in the blood?

As with any new technology, there are potential risks associated with using nanocontainers in the blood. These include potential toxicity, unintended targeting of healthy cells, and interference with the body's natural processes. However, extensive research and testing are being done to address these concerns and ensure the safe use of nanocontainers in medical applications.

5. How far along is the research on nanocontainers in the blood?

Nanocontainer research is a rapidly growing field, and there have been significant advancements in recent years. However, there is still much to learn and develop before nanocontainers can be used in clinical settings. Clinical trials are currently underway for various medical applications, and more research is needed to fully understand the potential of nanocontainers in the blood.