Can my adviser stop me from graduating?

• Thread starter priyansh
  • Start date
In summary, the PhD student is transferring universities and plans to drop out of the PhD program at their current university. Before transferring, they clearly mentioned their intentions to their adviser, who then promised to write a great letter of recommendation. However, when the professor from a different university interviewed the student, he denied them the letter. Furthermore, the adviser said that the student assumed the letter themselves. The student got an admit to a top 10 university without the letter. Now the PhD student wants to defend their master's and is worried about graduation. The student should consult with their department's graduate advisor, head of department, graduate director, and research advisory committee. If the student does not get relief from the department, they should go to the University
priyansh
Can my adviser stop me from graduating??

Hi,

I'm a PhD student at my current university in US. However, I'm planning to drop out of the PhD program and defend for my master's. I'm transferring to a different university for my PhD. Before joining the PhD program at the current university, I clearly mentioned to my adviser that I'll be applying for PhD to other schools. At that time he mentioned that not only can I apply, he will also write me a great letter of recommendation. However, when a professor from a different university interviewed me, I asked him for the letter. He clearly denied me to provide the letter. Furthermore, he told me that he never promised me the letter and that I assumed it myself. A few days later he told me that it was a misunderstanding and that it is in my best interest to continue working on my PhD under his guidance. He is technically very poor and can't advice me a bit. I work on my own and keep publishing (of course with him as an author on the papers).

I got an admit from a top 10 university in US without his recommendation. And now I just want to defend for my master's. I have conveyed it to him and he is really depressed after knowing this. He even called one of my fellow PhD students to his office and started asking questions about ethics and justifying that I'm betraying him. When I asked him to defend for my master's he mentioned he is currently very busy and can let me defend only some time in late June. Considering the fact that he does not keep his words, I'm really worried about my graduation. I have done considerable work and have already published 4 papers. Can he stop me from graduating?

Also, please advice on how should I handle the situation?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Sorry that you are in such a bad situation with your advisor. You should consult with the faculty member that is the official Graduate Advisor or Graduate Coordinator. This is the person that supervises the administrative details of graduate studies and degrees. You would have to consult with this person in any case to make sure that all of your paperwork for the masters is in order. If your department does not have such a position, you might consult with the department chair. The department secretaries would probably be helpful in pointing you to the right person.

I would seek out the ombudsman for your department/graduate school/University. They will have a much better handle on the policies of the University.

Thank you so much fzero and nbo10. However, I'm a little worried about contacting the Department chair/Graduate adviser as they will convey this information to my adviser which I believe will worsen the situation. This has happened in the past when I asked the Department chair for a letter of recommendation and my adviser came raging at me saying that now you are asking other faculty members for the letter. And finally, even the Department chair didn't provide me the letter.

You already have a mess on your hands, and you say you are in danger of not getting your MS. It's not clear how things could get worse by going to the department office and advisor. If you don't get relief, bypass your department and go directly to the University's graduate office. Unless your work and grades are truly substandard, they will be bound to help you graduate.

Thanks so much marcusl. I basically have met all the requirements specified by the department. (over 30 credits completed with 4.0 GPA and 4 publications). I believe contacting the University's graduate office is the right way to go.

nbo10 said:
I would seek out the ombudsman for your department/graduate school/University. They will have a much better handle on the policies of the University.

I would never suggest to someone to seek out an ombudsman, I'm certain they are trained to side with the faculty at fault while seeming "impartial".

I registered just for the express purpose of replying to this post. I'm
in a similar (although not identical) situation. Talk to the head of your
department and the graduate director and let them know your intentions.
I assume you also have a research advisory committee and they
should also be involved. You've clearly done enough work for the
MS if you've published four papers. It really is in the department's
best interest to let you get your MS and go. If you leave without
any degree, it reflects poorly on them, as well.

I can't give you advice on the advisor front, as those situations
tend to be unique, but you might be surprised at the support you
get from the rest of the department, I know I was. Either way,
these people have to sign off on the degree as well, so unless there
are academic issues (and if you got into another program, that's
pretty doubtful), you should not leave that program without an
MS. You've done the work, and if push comes to shove, you
could probably get legal assistance to make sure you're awarded
the degree.

priyansh said:
Also, please advise...

fixed :-p

stop me if you think you've heard this one before

Last edited:

Thanks so much VicCross. Sorry for the delay in reply. Today my advisor showed signs that he would not let me graduate under his guidance as he denied me the letter stating the time table for completion of the degree and my progress which was required for certification of full-time student for international students. I think I need to talk to the Department Chair and if need be graduate school asap.

Do continue to let us know what happens, I'm intrigued.

Today I talked to the graduate coordinator in my department and explained her the situation. She told me to get the final decision from my advisor and if he doesn't let me graduate, she will talk to department chair to be my advisor. I also contacted the International Student and Scholar Services office and they provided me alternate forms which will help me maintain my immigration status without the advisor's letter. Others seems to be helpful as VicCross mentioned. I'll keep you posted with what happens.

Hey guys! please advice. My advisor is hell bent to not let me graduate without showing it directly but by delaying things. I'm also not sure whether the Department Chair would help as he is an extremely busy man and might not help me graduate under his guidance. Shall I hire a lawyer to help me get my degree??

At some schools, you can get a non-thesis option for Masters provided you had completed the core course requirements. Also, a Master's is not a very important thing in your career path if you plan on obtaining a PhD. If, on the other hand, you want to stop with Master's and are using an admission at a different school as an excuse, then you are in trouble.

Yes, there are two more options in my school. There is a project option and a comprehensive exam option. Both these options would require more work on my part and there are more chances that I can be screwed by professors at least in the exam option. Besides it will always be good for me to defend for my master's on the work I have already published 3 papers. And I have already been admitted into a top 10 US school as I previously mentioned. So, whatever I have mentioned on this forum is true word for word. Is there anything that can be done to graduate with the thesis option??

priyansh said:
Yes, there are two more options in my school. There is a project option and a comprehensive exam option. Both these options would require more work on my part and there are more chances that I can be screwed by professors at least in the exam option. Besides it will always be good for me to defend for my master's on the work I have already published 3 papers. And I have already been admitted into a top 10 US school as I previously mentioned. So, whatever I have mentioned on this forum is true word for word. Is there anything that can be done to graduate with the thesis option??

Yes. Get a new advisor, and a new exam committee. Try to choose people you know have high ethical standards, and will evaluate you by your work.

Thanks Pyrrhus. I believe this is the right way to go.

I'm not going to pretend to know what you should do, but to anyone who may have better ideas... would it not be possible for the school that accepted you to help you with this problem? I mean, they've accepted you probably for some better reasons other than you having a piece of paper. You've published 3 papers, that's a pretty good reason.

hadsed said:
I'm not going to pretend to know what you should do, but to anyone who may have better ideas... would it not be possible for the school that accepted you to help you with this problem? I mean, they've accepted you probably for some better reasons other than you having a piece of paper. You've published 3 papers, that's a pretty good reason.

It will be a mistake to get them involved. A mistake that may get them to change their decision. I wouldn't comment it to the other school. Just wrap up your MS, and move on.

Related to Can my adviser stop me from graduating?

1. Can my adviser prevent me from graduating?

No, your adviser does not have the power to stop you from graduating. They can provide guidance and recommendations, but ultimately it is up to you to meet the requirements for graduation set by your institution.

2. What can I do if my adviser is not approving my graduation?

If your adviser is not approving your graduation, you should first try to have a conversation with them to understand their concerns. If there is a disagreement, you can seek guidance from your department or the academic advising office for assistance in resolving the issue.

3. Can my adviser delay my graduation?

Yes, if your adviser believes that you have not met all the requirements for graduation, they may delay your graduation. However, they must provide you with a clear explanation of the reasons for the delay and a plan for how to address any outstanding requirements.

4. Can my adviser change my graduation requirements?

No, your adviser does not have the authority to change your graduation requirements. These requirements are set by your institution and must be followed by all students. However, your adviser may provide guidance on how to meet these requirements.

5. What can I do if my adviser is not responding to my requests for graduation?

If your adviser is not responding to your requests for graduation, try reaching out to them through different channels (e.g. email, phone, in-person). If you still do not receive a response, you can seek assistance from your department or the academic advising office to help facilitate communication between you and your adviser.