Can Music Give Us Chicken Skin?

• Medical
  • Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skin
In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of getting "chicken skin" or goosebumps while listening to music. The group wonders why this occurs and explores possible explanations such as unique emotions triggered by music or a vestigial response. They also mention the sympathetic nervous system and suggest reading more about it to understand which emotions may trigger this response.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hi PF,
Why when we listen to some music we can have the chicken skin? What is occurring to the brain when we listen to a music creating chicken skin? Is it because of the emotions? But it seems that when we have other emotions we don't have chicken skin. Is it because music can create unique emotions we can't feel by other means? Or maybe by a few other ways.

Biology news on Phys.org
Thank you Proton Soup for the interesting link.
I understand why we have chicken skin when we feel cold. It says that this reaction is vestigial. Hence my guess is that when we listen to music we fool our brain and make it believe we are in a situation where piloerection is necessary.

Related to Can Music Give Us Chicken Skin?

1. Why does chicken have skin?

Chicken skin is a natural part of the chicken's body. It serves as a protective layer and contains fat and collagen, which contribute to the flavor and texture of the meat.

2. Is chicken skin healthy?

Chicken skin contains high amounts of saturated fat and cholesterol, so it is not considered a healthy option. However, it also contains a good amount of protein and some vitamins and minerals. Moderation is key when including chicken skin in your diet.

3. Can I eat chicken skin if I am trying to lose weight?

It is generally recommended to remove the skin from chicken if you are trying to lose weight, as it is high in calories and fat. However, if you enjoy the flavor and texture of chicken skin, you can still include it in your diet in moderation and adjust your overall calorie intake accordingly.

4. How can I make chicken skin crispy?

To make chicken skin crispy, it is important to remove excess moisture from the skin before cooking. You can do this by patting it dry with paper towels or leaving it uncovered in the refrigerator for a few hours. You can also cook the chicken skin at a higher temperature or use a cooking method that allows for air circulation, such as roasting or grilling.

5. Is it safe to eat chicken skin?

As long as the chicken is cooked properly, it is safe to eat the skin. Raw chicken skin may contain harmful bacteria, so it is important to always handle and cook chicken properly to avoid foodborne illness.