Can multi-walled carbon nanotubes (MWCNT) slide telescopically?

In summary, the conversation discusses the ability of straight multi-walled carbon nanotubes (MWCNT) to slide telescopically. The possibility of quantum interactions inhibiting axial motion is brought up, along with the potential for graphite to act as a lubricant. The conversation also mentions the ideal structure of carbon nanotubes and the use of CNTs in water purification. The concept of telescopic pull-out and sword-in-sheath is explained, along with the difference between single-wall and double-wall CNTs in terms of telescopic sliding. The role of the strong and weak nuclear forces in this situation is also discussed, and the concept of superlubricity between tubes in multi-walled CNTs is
taylaron
Gold Member
Greetings,

I'm trying to find out whether or not straight multi-walled carbon nanotubes (MWCNT) have the ability to slide telescopically. Although I have no formal education on the subject, my suspicion is that quantum interactions will inhibit axial motion, but I'm intrigued as graphite makes a great lubricant.

This situation presumes an ideal or perfect carbon nanotube. See the image below for reference

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...SSCg&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=40&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0"

Thank you for your time,

-Taylaron

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well I suppose it would depend on the exact difference in radius wouldn't it?

For a standard dual-walled nanotube, I suspect the answer is 'no', but I'm no expert. It would also depend on the length of the tube, as the C-C bonding strength between the two would increase with length. Now if you could start with two SWNT's, with the inner one being slighly smaller in diameter than the example above, I'd say it should work. But, I have not read about anyone trying this. The below link is a company using CNT's for water purification:

http://www.poriferanano.com/

Yes, that is one of their modes of failure (and probably the more likely one). You can do a quick literature search on "Telescopic pull-out" or "sword-in sheath" to find some papers.

Here is one example: http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~biy/Selected%20papers/00JPC_CNTslide.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand how 2 single-wall CNTs grown non-concentrically can be placed concentric with one another and are able to slide telescopically while the tubes in grown double-walled CNTs cannot slide telescopically.

I was under the impression the two (ideal) tubes on a double-wall CNT were not bound together. I thought that the carbon atoms in CNTs did not have an excess electron after growth. Are the adjacent carbon atoms between concentric CNTs exerting force on one another (from one tube to another)?

I'm not familiar with the strong or weak nuclear force and its implications in this situation.

Thanks,
-Taylaron

Thanks day, that is a really helpful article.

The author mentioned Superlubricity between tubes in multi-walled CNTs. I don't understand how superlubricity works in this context .

-Taylaron

Last edited:

Related to Can multi-walled carbon nanotubes (MWCNT) slide telescopically?

1. What are multi-walled carbon nanotubes (MWCNT)?

Multi-walled carbon nanotubes are cylindrical structures made of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. They have a diameter of a few nanometers and can be several micrometers in length. They have unique physical and chemical properties, making them useful in various applications such as electronics, medicine, and materials science.

2. How do MWCNTs slide telescopically?

MWCNTs slide telescopically due to their layered structure. Each layer can slide over the adjacent layer, allowing the nanotube to extend or contract like a telescope. This sliding motion is possible because of the weak Van der Waals forces between the layers.

3. What are the potential applications of MWCNTs sliding telescopically?

MWCNTs sliding telescopically have potential applications in nanoelectromechanical systems, sensors, drug delivery, and as reinforcing agents in composites. The ability of MWCNTs to change in length can also be utilized in actuators and artificial muscles.

4. Are there any challenges in controlling the telescopic sliding of MWCNTs?

Yes, there are challenges in controlling the telescopic sliding of MWCNTs. One of the main challenges is ensuring uniform sliding and preventing the layers from getting stuck together. This can be addressed by functionalizing the nanotubes or using external stimuli to control the sliding motion.

5. How can MWCNTs be synthesized to have desired telescopic sliding properties?

MWCNTs can be synthesized with desired telescopic sliding properties by controlling the number of layers, the diameter of the nanotubes, and the chemical functionalization of the nanotubes. The synthesis method and conditions can also affect the telescopic sliding behavior of MWCNTs.