Can Mu-Metal Reflect Magnetic Fields?

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    B-field
In summary, mu-metal has a high permeability and can be used as a magnetic shield. However, it can also act as a "B-field mirror" and create multiple coils inside the shield. To simulate this accurately, a numerical simulation would be necessary.
Niles
Hi

I have a question regarding mu-metal, which I haven't beem able to find the answer to online. Say I have a current loop placed enclosed in a cylindrical magnetic shield made of mu-metal as shown in the attachment (red loop is the current loop).

The shielding will prevent any B-field to penetrate it, but won't it also act as a "B-field mirror", i.e. it will basically appear to a particle inside the shield that there are three coils: 2 with oppositely directed currents to the actual, physical one?

Niles.

Attachments

• shield.PNG
    shield.PNG
    837 bytes · Views: 510
Science news on Phys.org
Mu metal has a very high permeability, so it basically sucks up magnetic field lines.

In your example, the mu metal cylinder would get polarized by the magnetic field from the current loop in its center. The polarization of the cylinder would be opposite to the current loop and such that on the outside, the sum of the magnetic fields would cancel (or nearly cancel). I think that some field lines would still leak out at the ends of the cylinder.

I guess the magnetization would not be constant along the length of the cylinder, but highest in the mid plane, and lower towards the ends. To simulate this exactly, you would need a whole lot of current loops along the length of the cylinder, each with a different current. The direction of the current is opposite to the current in the central loop.

To get the details right, one would have to do a numerical simulation.

Thanks!

Related to Can Mu-Metal Reflect Magnetic Fields?

1. What is Mu-metal?

Mu-metal is a special type of nickel-iron alloy that has high magnetic permeability, making it an excellent material for shielding magnetic fields.

2. How does Mu-metal reflect magnetic fields?

Mu-metal reflects magnetic fields by redirecting the magnetic flux lines, creating a closed loop of magnetic flux that reduces the overall strength of the field.

3. What types of magnetic fields can Mu-metal shield against?

Mu-metal can shield against static and low-frequency magnetic fields, such as those produced by power lines, transformers, and electronic equipment.

4. How effective is Mu-metal at shielding magnetic fields?

Mu-metal is highly effective at shielding magnetic fields, with a typical shielding factor of 80-90%. This means that it can reduce the strength of a magnetic field by 80-90%.

5. Are there any limitations to using Mu-metal for magnetic field shielding?

Yes, Mu-metal is only effective for low-frequency magnetic fields and is not suitable for shielding against high-frequency electromagnetic fields. It also has limited effectiveness against very strong magnetic fields.