Can Moving a Magnet Near Copper Wire Generate Usable Electricity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of generating electricity by using a normal magnet and copper wiring. The question is whether moving the magnet parallel to the wire would generate a usable electrical charge. The conversation also touches on the idea of a bicycle-powered electrical generator and its practicality for generating electricity for small things. The conversation ends with a suggestion to do some research and come back with more specific questions.
atgblue1
Hey guys :) new here, Just a simple question to get started. looks like a great forum :D

Is the following statement correct or incorrect?

If I hold a normal magnet with north and south poles, and I move my hand in one direction parallel to copper wiring, will it generate an electrical charge that is "technically" usable, albeit it would be too weak for practical purposes?

Thanks for the info! I know there's probably a lot of "well" and "but" about this, I just mean on the basic practical level, would that generate "electrical current" ?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Move your hand perpendicular to the wire. The magnetic field needs to move across the wire.

See 2:58 in this video

Likes atgblue1
thank you very much :)

OK further question, correct me if I'm wrong but do try to forgive some smaller incorrect technicalities:

A Bycicle powered electrical generator. Pedaling turns the belt which is basically making magnets inside the motor go 'round and 'round, generating electrical current in the surrounding copper wire at a fast enough rpm that it can be used for small things, Correct?

Generally the rotor has the wires and the magnets are fixed.
You can google this stuff easily. If you search for answers, and don't understand them, please feel free to ask questions. But at least expend a little effort first.

"How does a bicycle generator work" only gets about 190,000 results in 0.3seconds.

hmhm, Yes I have googled aplenty, and came to that conclusion. It just seems so simple that I feel I'm missing something. I have a particular idea in mind and I'm trying to learn enough to be able to build a basic model and see if it works. It would be an electricity generator, dare I say it, for "free" :D not free but free of the grid and completely DIY.
Every vid I've seen that gets close people are always nay-saying and spouting off fancy theories. So I wanted to see here if people jumped on it as being impossible or if basically, that's how to produce electricity.

I'll do some reading and maybe be back again :D thanks:D

atgblue1 said:
hmhm, Yes I have googled aplenty, and came to that conclusion. It just seems so simple that I feel I'm missing something. I have a particular idea in mind and I'm trying to learn enough to be able to build a basic model and see if it works. It would be an electricity generator, dare I say it, for "free" :D not free but free of the grid and completely DIY.
Every vid I've seen that gets close people are always nay-saying and spouting off fancy theories. So I wanted to see here if people jumped on it as being impossible or if basically, that's how to produce electricity.

I'll do some reading and maybe be back again :D thanks:D

None of your questions say how much power you need to generate. If you only need to light a bicycle light, then yes it is possible. If you need to heat or cool your house with a hand powered generator, then no thst is not practical.

atgblue1 said:
... looks like a great forum ...
Actually, it's a lot better than that :smile:

atgblue1 said:
A Bycicle powered electrical generator. Pedaling turns the belt which is basically making magnets inside the motor go 'round and 'round, generating electrical current in the surrounding copper wire at a fast enough rpm that it can be used for small things, Correct?
Yes, that's how a bike dynamo works, and it is arranged that way so there is no requirement for sliding electrical connections---no commutator or sliprings. A bike dynamo when powering lights makes the bike significantly harder to pedal. In the era when I rode to school the typical bike dynamo rating was 6.3V 2.1A. IIRC [emoji53]

Likes atgblue1

Related to Can Moving a Magnet Near Copper Wire Generate Usable Electricity?

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that is created by the movement of electrons. It can be found in both natural phenomena, such as lightning, and man-made sources, such as power plants.

2. How is electricity generated?

Electricity can be generated in a variety of ways, such as through chemical reactions, mechanical motion, or light. Most commonly, it is produced by converting the energy from burning fossil fuels or from the splitting of atoms in nuclear power plants.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity flows in both directions, constantly changing its polarity. This is the type of electricity used in most homes and buildings. DC (direct current) electricity only flows in one direction and is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

4. How does electricity travel through wires?

Electricity travels through wires in the form of electrons. When a power source, such as a battery, is connected to a circuit, it creates an electric field that pushes the electrons through the wires. The electrons flow from the negative terminal of the power source to the positive terminal, completing the circuit.

5. What are the safety precautions when dealing with electricity?

When working with electricity, it is important to follow safety precautions to prevent electrocution or other accidents. This includes wearing protective gear, turning off power sources before working on electrical equipment, and avoiding contact with water when using electrical appliances.