Can mechanical shock enhance the flux through a magnetic circuit?

In summary, it is possible to enhance the flux through the circuit and reverse magnetism by mechanically shocking the steel pieces, but further research is needed to determine the most effective use of this method.
WarpedWatch
Dear geniuses,

I'm planning on working with a magnetic circuit that consists of several bars of low carbon steel magnetically "powered" by two NIB permanent magnets. The steel bars are 1 inch square in cross section and so are the two magnets. When completed, the entire circuit forms a square that is about 5 inches on each side. The circuit will be completed and broken by a hefty mechanical device that can move one of the steel pieces in and out of the circuit. There's a tiny air gap in the circuit which is being used in an experiment.

My question is this: I know it's possible to magnetize a steel bar by placing it in a magnetic field and then banging on it with a hammer. I think it's also possible to demagnetize an iron bar by banging on it in the absence of a magnetic field. So is it possible that administering a mechanical shock to my steel pieces in the circuit might also enhance the flux through the circuit when I complete the circuit? and then reverse that magnetism by mechanically shocking the steel again when I want to demagnetize it?

Note: I'm only thinking about shocking the part of the steel that is not always in contact with the NIBs, so the NIBs themselves will experience no shocks.

Would it be worth it or would the enhancement of shock be too small to worry about?

thanks for your insights on this. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible that mechanically shocking the steel pieces would enhance the flux through the circuit when you complete it, and then reverse the magnetism when you mechanically shock it again to demagnetize it. However, the enhancement of the shock may be too small to worry about as it depends on the amount of mechanical shock applied and the material properties of the steel bars. To ensure the most effective use of the mechanical shock, it is recommended that further research be done on the material properties of the steel bars and the amount of shock needed for the desired effect.

Related to Can mechanical shock enhance the flux through a magnetic circuit?

1. What is mechanical shock?

Mechanical shock is a sudden impact or vibration that causes stress and deformation in a material or system.

2. How does mechanical shock affect a magnetic circuit?

Mechanical shock can temporarily increase the permeability of a magnetic circuit, thereby enhancing the flux through it.

3. What factors determine the extent of flux enhancement in a magnetic circuit due to mechanical shock?

The extent of flux enhancement depends on the magnitude and duration of the shock, as well as the design and materials used in the magnetic circuit.

4. Can mechanical shock have a negative impact on the performance of a magnetic circuit?

Yes, excessive or repeated shocks can cause permanent damage to the magnetic circuit, leading to a decrease in its efficiency.

5. Are there any practical applications for using mechanical shock to enhance flux in a magnetic circuit?

Yes, mechanical shock can be used in certain designs to improve the performance of magnetic circuits, such as in sensors, actuators, and motors.