Can Mathematical Manipulations Validate the Work-Energy Theorem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical physics question about the validity of certain equations and the appearance of a 1/2 term in the work-energy theorem. The conclusion is that the 1/2 term comes from considering the average speed over a period of time rather than the speed at a specific moment.
DiracPool
There’s a mathematical physics question I have that’s been bugging me lately. I’m not a mathematician so I don’t know if my logic is mathematically “legal” or sound.

Part 1

1. Say we restrict ourselves to one dimension and define a spatial coordinate, x. Then we square it, so now we have x^2.

2. Now we make an equation of it, x^2 = x^2.

3. Now I want to divide each side by 1/t^2, yielding (x^2)/(t^2) = (x/t)(x/t) = v^2, where v=velocity.

Does that look ok so far, can I do that operation?

4. Now I want to redo step 3 in a different manner. Instead of what I wrote above, I want to do the following: divide each side by 1/t^2, yielding (x^2)/(t^2) = (x/t^2) (x) = (a)(x), where a=acceleration and x=spatial displacement along the x coordinate.

My question is, can I take my choice as to how I can split up the time variables on the RHS of the equation in both 3 and 4 given what’s on the left?

5. What about the differential form of 3 and 4? Can I write the RHS version of 3 as (dx/dt)(dx/dt), and version 4 as (d^2x/dt^2)(dx)?Part 2

I’m interested in the math aspect of the equation but it was the work energy theorem that got me thinking about it. Through a few mathematical tricks I can comfortably follow, the work energy theorem gives you a kinetic energy term, ½ mv^2 from the work term, or, Force times distance (m)(a)(x) = ½(m)(v^2), where m is mass, v is velocity, a is acceleration, and x is spatial displacement.

Now, if we add a mass term to my equation 3 above in part 1, you get mv^2, and if you add that same mass term to equation 4 you get (m)(a)(x), or the work term.

So, if it isn’t obvious already, my conundrum here is that, from my mathematical tinkering in numbers 1-4 above in part 1, I came up with an equivalence (m)(a)(x) = mv^2, but the work-energy theorem tells us that (m)(a)(x) = 1/2mv^2. Where did that extra ½ term come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
DiracPool said:
There’s a mathematical physics question I have that’s been bugging me lately. I’m not a mathematician so I don’t know if my logic is mathematically “legal” or sound.

Part 1

1. Say we restrict ourselves to one dimension and define a spatial coordinate, x. Then we square it, so now we have x^2.

2. Now we make an equation of it, x^2 = x^2.

3. Now I want to divide each side by 1/t^2, yielding (x^2)/(t^2) = (x/t)(x/t) = v^2, where v=velocity.

Does that look ok so far, can I do that operation?

4. Now I want to redo step 3 in a different manner. Instead of what I wrote above, I want to do the following: divide each side by 1/t^2, yielding (x^2)/(t^2) = (x/t^2) (x) = (a)(x), where a=acceleration and x=spatial displacement along the x coordinate.

My question is, can I take my choice as to how I can split up the time variables on the RHS of the equation in both 3 and 4 given what’s on the left?

5. What about the differential form of 3 and 4? Can I write the RHS version of 3 as (dx/dt)(dx/dt), and version 4 as (d^2x/dt^2)(dx)?Part 2

I’m interested in the math aspect of the equation but it was the work energy theorem that got me thinking about it. Through a few mathematical tricks I can comfortably follow, the work energy theorem gives you a kinetic energy term, ½ mv^2 from the work term, or, Force times distance (m)(a)(x) = ½(m)(v^2), where m is mass, v is velocity, a is acceleration, and x is spatial displacement.

Now, if we add a mass term to my equation 3 above in part 1, you get mv^2, and if you add that same mass term to equation 4 you get (m)(a)(x), or the work term.

So, if it isn’t obvious already, my conundrum here is that, from my mathematical tinkering in numbers 1-4 above in part 1, I came up with an equivalence (m)(a)(x) = mv^2, but the work-energy theorem tells us that (m)(a)(x) = 1/2mv^2. Where did that extra ½ term come from?
You've assumed constant speed and a non zero acceleration. In general ##\frac{x}{t} \neq v ## and similarly ##\frac{x}{t^2} \neq a ##

Loosely speaking (very loosely!) the factor of 1/2 appears because the speed of an object undergoing constant acceleration from rest for a time ##t## is ##v(t)=at## but its average speed over that time is ##at/2##.

The problem with your calculation is that it's not correct to say that ##v=x/t## - if it were, the speed of an object would change according to which point you choose to be ##x=0##. You can say that the average velocity is ##\Delta{x} / \Delta{t}## but that doesn't tell you anything about the speed at any given moment.

Related to Can Mathematical Manipulations Validate the Work-Energy Theorem?

1. How is the work-energy theorem related to math?

The work-energy theorem is a mathematical principle that relates the work done on an object to its change in kinetic energy. It states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

2. What is the equation for the work-energy theorem?

The equation for the work-energy theorem is W = ΔKE, where W represents work and ΔKE represents the change in kinetic energy.

3. How is the work-energy theorem used in real-world situations?

The work-energy theorem can be used to analyze the motion of objects in real-world situations, such as calculating the force needed to stop a moving car or the speed at which a roller coaster will reach the end of its track.

4. Can the work-energy theorem be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the work-energy theorem can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, rotational, and oscillatory motion. It is a general principle that can be used to analyze the energy changes in any type of system.

5. How does the work-energy theorem relate to the conservation of energy?

The work-energy theorem is a specific case of the more general principle of conservation of energy. It states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the case of the work-energy theorem, energy is transferred from the work done on an object to its change in kinetic energy.