Can Magic Squares be Applied in Mathematical and Scientific Research?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of magic squares in mathematical and scientific endeavors. The speaker shares their discovery of a relationship between arithmetic sequences and magic squares and provides an example of a 3x3 magic square. They also mention the summation formula for magic squares and offer to share more information via email.
pallidin
Greetings,

I'm curious if "magic squares" have been found to be useful in mathematical or scientific endeavors apart from an "oddity" or "game"

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello there!
I'm from Lahore - Pakistan. I've recently discovered a unique relationship between simple Arithmetic Sequence and Magic Squares & Cubes. I've also developed 3D models of that, too.
Magic Sqaures are basically a simple 2 Dimensional Arithmetic Sequence.
Now look at this smallest pattern of 3x3.

6 7 2
1 5 9
8 3 4
The summation of any horizontal, vertical line or either of the two main diagonals is 15.
Mathematically

n/2[2a+(n-1)d]
Sn= -------------------
Total no. of squares
Contact me if you like on me email address & I'll try to elobarate on this.
Thanks.
Qaiser Raza
Lahore - Pakistan
email : htc_leo_786@yahoo.com

Qaiser Raza said:
Thanks.
Qaiser Raza
Lahore - Pakistan

This looks like some kinds of advertising to me. :biggrin: :devil:

Qaiser Raza said:
Hello there!
I'm from Lahore - Pakistan. I've recently discovered a unique relationship between simple Arithmetic Sequence and Magic Squares & Cubes. I've also developed 3D models of that, too.
Magic Sqaures are basically a simple 2 Dimensional Arithmetic Sequence.
Now look at this smallest pattern of 3x3.

6 7 2
1 5 9
8 3 4
The summation of any horizontal, vertical line or either of the two main diagonals is 15.
Mathematically

n/2[2a+(n-1)d]
Sn= -------------------
Total no. of squares
Thanks.
Qaiser Raza
Lahore - Pakistan
You formula is meaningless if you don't tell us what n, a, and d are!

Related to Can Magic Squares be Applied in Mathematical and Scientific Research?

1. What is a magic square?

A magic square is a square grid of numbers where the sum of each row, column, and diagonal is the same. It is considered a mathematical and geometric puzzle and has been studied by scientists for centuries.

2. How were magic squares originally used in science?

Magic squares were originally used in ancient China for divination and in India for religious ceremonies. They were also used by mathematicians and scientists to study patterns and properties of numbers. In modern times, magic squares have been used in cryptography and computer science.

3. Can magic squares be used to study other areas of science?

Yes, magic squares have been used to study other areas of science such as DNA sequencing, crystallography, and quantum mechanics. They have also been used to study patterns in nature and the universe.

4. Are there different types of magic squares?

Yes, there are many different types of magic squares, including odd, even, pan-diagonal, and pandiagonal magic squares. They can also have different orders, or sizes, such as 3x3, 4x4, or 5x5.

5. What is the significance of magic squares in science?

Magic squares have been studied and used in science because they represent a perfect balance and symmetry, which can be found in many natural phenomena. They also provide a unique way to study numbers and patterns, and have practical applications in fields such as coding and cryptography.