Can Machine Gun Bullets Propel a Vehicle to Required Speeds?

In summary, the conversation discusses a plan by the Army of the Nation of Whynot to use a machine gun to propel small vehicles on a frictionless rail. The objective is for the vehicle to reach a speed of 19 m/s in 30 seconds. The consultant is tasked with determining the rate at which the machine gun should fire bullets. Through calculations, it is determined that the rate should be 6.33 bullets per second. However, the conversation is interrupted by the Nation of Because, who opposes the experiment.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

The Army of the Nation of Whynot has a plan to propel small vehicles across the battlefield by shooting them, from behind, with a machine gun. They've hired you as a consultant to help with an upcoming test. A 100 kg test vehicle will roll along frictionless rails. The vehicle has a tall "sail" made of ultrahard steel. Previous tests have shown that a 20.0g bullet traveling at 400 m/s rebounds from the sail at 100 m/s. The design objective is for the cart to reach a speed of 19.0 m/s in 30.0 s . You need to tell them how many bullets to fire per second from the machine gun. Note that your answer should be a rate, which can be fractional, rather than a quantity, which must be an integer.

Homework Equations

p=mv J=change in momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the impulse exerted on a bullet.
J=(.02kg)(-100m/s)-(.02kg)(400m/s)
J= -10 Ns

Then I set up an equation to find what impulse needs to be exerted on the cart to speed up to 19 m/s:

0kgm/s + J = (100kg)(19 m/s)
J=1900 Ns

Then I assumed the impulse exerted on a bullet is the same as the impulse exerted on the sail by a single bullet :

1900Ns* (1 bullet/10Ns) =190 bullets
I then divided that by 30 sec. & came up with 6.33 bullets/sec.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your math is correct and I ran through your procedure and it looks sound.

… Because … Because … Because … !

The Nation of Because regards your militaristic experiments as a threat to our beliefs! :frown:

The ancient Nation of Because will always defeat the Nation of Whynot!

:mad: Go to your room! :mad:

Related to Can Machine Gun Bullets Propel a Vehicle to Required Speeds?

1. What is the definition of momentum in the context of vehicles?

Momentum is a measure of the amount of motion an object has. In the context of vehicles, it refers to the amount of motion or "push" that a vehicle has when it is in motion.

2. How is momentum calculated for a vehicle?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of the vehicle by its velocity (speed and direction). The equation for momentum is: momentum = mass x velocity

3. What are the units of momentum for a vehicle?

The units of momentum for a vehicle are kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

4. How does the momentum of a vehicle affect its stopping distance?

The higher the momentum of a vehicle, the longer its stopping distance will be. This is because it takes more force to stop an object with a higher momentum.

5. How does the momentum of a vehicle affect its collision with another vehicle?

The momentum of a vehicle plays a crucial role in collisions. The higher the momentum of a vehicle, the greater the force it will exert on another vehicle during a collision, and the more damage it can cause.