Can Linear Integral Operators Be Combined to Prove a Trivial Inequality?

In summary, the conversation discusses two linear integral operators, $Ky$ and $Ly$, which are both continuous. The conversation also mentions the notation $Ky=\int_{a}^{b} \,k(.,s) y(s) ds$, and that $|b|.||L||<1$ where $b$ is a scalar. The main goal is to prove that $||({(I-bL)}^{-1}.(K-L)||\le\frac{||K-L||}{1-|b|.||L||}$, which is shown to be correct using the geometric series theorem and the sub-multiplicative property of bounded linear operators. The conversation concludes with a confirmation that the proof is
sarrah1
I have a linear integral operator (related to integral equations)

$(Ky)(x)=\int_{a}^{b} \,k(x,s) y(s) ds$ and another one $(Ly)(x)=\int_{a}^{b} \,l(x,s) y(s) ds$ both are continuous

Before I proceed can I write:

$Ky=\int_{a}^{b} \,k(.,s) y(s) ds$ ? (I saw this notation in some books)

I also have $|b|.||L||<1 $ (b is a scalar)

Thus I need to prove that:

$||({(I-bL)}^{-1}.(K-L)||\le\frac{||K-L||}{1-|b|.||L||}$ #

I know it's correct since

$||{(I-bL)}^{-1}||\le \frac{1}{(1-|b|.||L||)} $ (from the geometric series theorem of bounded linear operators)

Thus

$||({(I-bL)}^{-1}.(K-L)||\le||{(I-bL)}^{-1}||.||K-L||$ (from the sub-multiplicative property)
$\le\frac{||K-L||}{1-|b|.||L||}$ #

I think it's correct of course and trivial.
is it?
many thanks
Sarrah

Physics news on Phys.org
sarrah said:
I have a linear integral operator (related to integral equations)

$(Ky)(x)=\int_{a}^{b} \,k(x,s) y(s) ds$ and another one $(Ly)(x)=\int_{a}^{b} \,l(x,s) y(s) ds$ both are continuous

Before I proceed can I write:

$Ky=\int_{a}^{b} \,k(.,s) y(s) ds$ ? (I saw this notation in some books)

I also have $|b|.||L||<1 $ (b is a scalar)

Thus I need to prove that:

$||({(I-bL)}^{-1}.(K-L)||\le\frac{||K-L||}{1-|b|.||L||}$ #

I know it's correct since

$||{(I-bL)}^{-1}||\le \frac{1}{(1-|b|.||L||)} $ (from the geometric series theorem of bounded linear operators)

Thus

$||({(I-bL)}^{-1}.(K-L)||\le||{(I-bL)}^{-1}||.||K-L||$ (from the sub-multiplicative property)
$\le\frac{||K-L||}{1-|b|.||L||}$ #

I think it's correct of course and trivial.
is it?
many thanks
Sarrah
The answers to your questions are Yes and Yes. :)

thank you very much Oplag

Related to Can Linear Integral Operators Be Combined to Prove a Trivial Inequality?

1. What is a linear integral operator?

A linear integral operator is a mathematical function that takes in a function as its input and returns another function as its output. It operates on functions by integrating them over a certain interval and applying a linear transformation to the resulting integral.

2. What are some examples of linear integral operators?

Some common examples of linear integral operators include the Fourier transform, Laplace transform, and convolution operators. These operators are widely used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to solve differential equations and analyze signals and systems.

3. How do linear integral operators differ from other types of operators?

Linear integral operators are distinct from other types of operators, such as linear differential operators, in that they involve integration rather than differentiation. This means that they are better suited for solving problems involving integrals, while differential operators are better for solving problems involving derivatives.

4. What are the properties of linear integral operators?

Linear integral operators have several important properties, including linearity, which means that they follow the rules of linearity, such as the superposition principle. They also have a kernel, which is the function that they integrate over, and a range, which is the set of all possible outputs of the operator.

5. How are linear integral operators used in scientific research?

Linear integral operators are used extensively in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. They are used to solve differential equations, analyze signals and systems, and perform transformations on functions to simplify calculations and gain insights into the behavior of complex systems.