Can Light Travel Faster When Moving Towards It?

• Thread starter edraganov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam Light
In summary: I can't see it, but I know it's there. The problem I am having is that according to relativity the speed of light is always the same, no matter what the speed of the observer or the object. So how do I know how fast the light is travelling in my direction?
edraganov
Hello everyone,

First of all, I'd like to apologize if this question has already been discussed here at the forum. However, I've read dozens of discussions and none of them have helped to find a solution to this specific scenario I have in mind right know.

I have been reading a lot of materials related to Einstein's principle of light constancy lately. One of examples I saw states that if ether really exists and light travels thought it, if a observer is moving towards a light source (with speed v) and through the ether, its speed would add to that of speed of light so that light would be traveling at v + c and not just c (based on the observer frame of reference).

However, if you apply relativity to this case and remove the ether, there is no difference whether the source of light is moving towards the observer or the observer is moving towards the source of light. The speed of light is going to be constant, at C.

However, even in this case, If I am flying a spaceship and decide to accelerate it at full power towards a flash of light I've just seen, from my perspective in the cockpit, isn't the light going to travel much more faster in my direction (since the speed of light and the speed of the spaceship add up?). Or I am going to see the light coming at C having the impression that my spaceship is actually stopped?

Thank you!
Erik

Physics news on Phys.org
edraganov said:
Hello everyone,

First of all, I'd like to apologize if this question has already been discussed here at the forum. However, I've read dozens of discussions and none of them have helped to find a solution to this specific scenario I have in mind right know.

I have been reading a lot of materials related to Einstein's principle of light constancy lately. One of examples I saw states that if ether really exists and light travels thought it, if a observer is moving towards a light source (with speed v) and through the ether, its speed would add to that of speed of light so that light would be traveling at v + c and not just c (based on the observer frame of reference).

However, if you apply relativity to this case and remove the ether, there is no difference whether the source of light is moving towards the observer or the observer is moving towards the source of light. The speed of light is going to be constant, at C.

However, even in this case, If I am flying a spaceship and decide to accelerate it at full power towards a flash of light I've just seen, from my perspective in the cockpit, isn't the light going to travel much more faster in my direction (since the speed of light and the speed of the spaceship add up?). Or I am going to see the light coming at C having the impression that my spaceship is actually stopped?

Thank you!
Erik
You have talked about a lot of situations where you are observing light and drawing conclusions about its speed but you have never described how you would actually measure the speed of light. For example, your last statement about seeing light coming towards you at c? What does light look like at c or one-half c or double c? How would you know? Please tell me exactly what you are thinking.

edraganov said:
If I am flying a spaceship and decide to accelerate it at full power towards a flash of light I've just seen, from my perspective in the cockpit, isn't the light going to travel much more faster in my direction (since the speed of light and the speed of the spaceship add up?). Or I am going to see the light coming at C having the impression that my spaceship is actually stopped?
It turns out that in relativity the formula for "adding" speeds in a situation like this isn't [itex]u + v[/itex] but[tex]
\frac{u + v}{1 + \frac{uv}{c^2}}
[/tex]When you put [itex]u = c[/itex] you get an answer of [itex]c[/itex]. But although the light's speed wouldn't change, its colour would: it would turn bluer. And if the light was coming from some direction other than straight ahead, its direction relative to you would change.

ghwellsjr said:
You have talked about a lot of situations where you are observing light and drawing conclusions about its speed but you have never described how you would actually measure the speed of light. For example, your last statement about seeing light coming towards you at c? What does light look like at c or one-half c or double c? How would you know? Please tell me exactly what you are thinking.

I was thinking in a hypothetical situation where I am seated on a spaceship cockpit, actually stationary, and right in my direction, far far away, there is another military spaceship firing laser beans at the speed of light towards me. Imagine that actually I can see those beans coming before they hit my spaceship so that I have a chance to evade the shots. My instruments also detect then and confirm they are traveling at the speed of light towards my stationary position. Imagine that at halfway distance I can actually see them coming and think to myself: "Ok, so that's how beans traveling at the speed of light looks like". If I decide to throttle my spaceship up and fly like a kamisake towards the beans, would I notice any change on their speed, at least visually? In other words, even though they are already traveling at the speed of light, would I see them accelerating based on my frame of reference?

edraganov said:
I was thinking in a hypothetical situation where I am seated on a spaceship cockpit, actually stationary, and right in my direction, far far away, there is another military spaceship firing laser beans at the speed of light towards me. Imagine that actually I can see those beans coming before they hit my spaceship so that I have a chance to evade the shots. My instruments also detect then and confirm they are traveling at the speed of light towards my stationary position. Imagine that at halfway distance I can actually see them coming and think to myself: "Ok, so that's how beans traveling at the speed of light looks like". If I decide to throttle my spaceship up and fly like a kamisake towards the beans, would I notice any change on their speed, at least visually? In other words, even though they are already traveling at the speed of light, would I see them accelerating based on my frame of reference?
You're dreaming--not thinking. Try thinking. Or else ask your questions on a sci-fi forum.

Think about this: you see things because light from those things enter your eyes or instruments. What can you possibly mean by seeing the laser light beams before they hit you?

ghwellsjr said:
You're dreaming--not thinking. Try thinking. Or else ask your questions on a sci-fi forum.

Think about this: you see things because light from those things enter your eyes or instruments. What can you possibly mean by seeing the laser light beams before they hit you?

You are absolutely right! It so obvious, do not know how I missed this simple but important detail! I will try to think a little bit more next time! Thank you very much!

Related to Can Light Travel Faster When Moving Towards It?

1. What is the concept of moving towards a light beam?

The concept of moving towards a light beam is based on the theory of relativity, which states that the speed of light is a constant and the fastest speed in the universe. This means that if an object were to move towards a light beam, it would have to travel at or near the speed of light.

2. Can an object actually move towards a light beam?

Technically, an object cannot move towards a light beam because it would require an infinite amount of energy to reach the speed of light. However, objects can approach the speed of light, which would make them appear to be moving towards a light beam from a relative perspective.

3. What would happen if an object were to reach the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, an object at the speed of light would experience time dilation, meaning that time would slow down for the object. It would also experience an increase in mass, making it more difficult to accelerate further. From an outside perspective, the object would appear to be frozen in time.

4. How is the speed of light related to time and space?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe and is related to both time and space. It is the maximum speed at which energy, information, and matter can travel. The theory of relativity also states that time and space are relative to an observer's frame of reference, and the speed of light remains constant in all frames of reference.

5. What are the implications of moving towards a light beam?

The implications of moving towards a light beam are significant in the fields of physics and astronomy. It has helped scientists understand the nature of time, space, and the universe. It also has practical applications, such as in space travel and the development of new technologies, such as laser technology and fiber optics.