Can leather be used for a Van de Graaff generator's bottom roller?

• Thread starter Fischer777
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of leather for a Van de Graaff generator, specifically whether the smooth or fuzzy side of the leather should be used. It is determined that the rough side should be used and that the top of the generator can be designed to have either a negative or positive charge. It is also suggested to search for "DIY Van de Graaff" for more construction tips.
Fischer777
Hello everyone. I am trying to build a Van de Graaff generator for a project of mine (the triboelectric kind), and I have heard that leather is very high on the triboelectric scale, so I plan on using it for the bottom roller. However, I am not sure if this is referring to the smooth, tanned side of the leather, or the 'fuzzy' soft side. My initial tests conclude that it is the soft side, but I want to make sure.

Also, if I use leather on the bottom roller and PVC for the top, will the dome take on a negative charge? I was under the impression that it would, but after doing some research, I'm not sure anymore.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, rough side out on the leather belt.

You can design it to make the top negative or positively charged.

I suggest searching for "DIY Van de Graaff" for more construction tips.

Related to Can leather be used for a Van de Graaff generator's bottom roller?

1. What is triboelectricity?

Triboelectricity is a type of static electricity that is generated when two materials come into contact and then separate. This process causes electrons to transfer from one material to the other, resulting in a build-up of electric charge on the surface of the materials.

2. How is triboelectricity related to leather?

Leather, like many other materials, can generate triboelectricity when rubbed against another material. This is due to the transfer of electrons between the two surfaces, resulting in a build-up of electric charge on the surface of the leather.

3. What factors affect the amount of triboelectricity produced by leather?

The amount of triboelectricity produced by leather can be influenced by several factors, including the type of leather, the type of material it is rubbed against, the humidity and temperature of the environment, and the speed and pressure of the rubbing motion.

4. Can triboelectricity be harnessed and used for practical purposes?

Yes, triboelectricity can be harnessed and used for various applications, such as energy harvesting and electrostatic discharge. It is also used in some industries for processes like electrostatic painting and powder coating.

5. Is leather a good conductor of electricity?

No, leather is not a good conductor of electricity. This is because it is an insulator, meaning it does not allow electricity to flow easily through it. However, as mentioned earlier, leather can produce triboelectricity when rubbed against another material.