Can Lead be Bonded to Inconel? Steps and Flux Needed for Metallurgical Bonding

• Thread starter mpatterson557
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bonding
In summary, bonding lead to Inconel 625 is possible but requires steps such as fluxing and using a high temperature epoxy.
mpatterson557
I need to bond lead to Inconel? Is this possible? One method I thought about trying is to bond a second metal to the Inconel then bond the Lead(pb) to that> But what would be the steps fluxs and the like?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Specifically, is that lead or lead-tin solder you with to bond?

mpatterson557 said:
I need to bond lead to Inconel? Is this possible? One method I thought about trying is to bond a second metal to the Inconel then bond the Lead(pb) to that> But what would be the steps fluxes and the like?
What is one attempting to do. Normally for a good joint/bond, one brazes Inconel with a NiCr-based braze.

Which type of Inconel is one using?

The door is 1/2 thick Inconel plate, the final surface is to be Lead(pb) but the intermediate material is not speced. The normal process is to grind a clean surface on the ferrous metal then apply a lead bearing flux, usually a mixture that includes zinc and copper heat till glossy then wipe clean. Then apply lead directly onto the tinned surface. as to what grade of inconel I am clueless except that it was speced for heat and low concentration sulpheric acid and mercury and chlorine. Nasty mix huh. The lead will act as a replaceable wear surface.
I believe it is Inconel 625.

What is operating temperature of the interface between Pb and Inconel?

Is the Pb liner thin - e.g., on the order of mm's?

during application unknown, during operation about 400 F 3 to 5 mm we can apply in liquid form if need be.

http://www.masterbond.com/php_news_release.html?nrfile=su46ht-2

Would a high temp epoxy work for you? If this one is not suitable, perhaps they have another formulation that would work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would really like to do the metallurgical route if at all possible. Even if several steps are involved.

Related to Can Lead be Bonded to Inconel? Steps and Flux Needed for Metallurgical Bonding

1. How can I bond lead (Pb) to Inconel?

To bond lead (Pb) to Inconel, you can use a variety of methods such as brazing, welding, or adhesive bonding. The specific method will depend on the application and the properties of the materials being bonded.

2. What type of adhesive should I use to bond lead (Pb) to Inconel?

When selecting an adhesive for bonding lead (Pb) to Inconel, it is important to consider the properties of both materials and the application requirements. Epoxy and polyurethane adhesives are commonly used for this type of bonding, but it is best to consult with an adhesive expert for specific recommendations.

3. Can I bond lead (Pb) to Inconel using welding?

Yes, lead (Pb) and Inconel can be welded together, but it is important to consider the different melting points and thermal expansion coefficients of the materials. It is recommended to use a low heat input welding process, such as TIG or laser welding, to prevent distortion or damage to the materials.

4. What precautions should I take when bonding lead (Pb) to Inconel?

When bonding lead (Pb) to Inconel, it is important to clean the surfaces thoroughly to ensure proper adhesion. The use of a primer or surface treatment may also be necessary to promote bonding. Additionally, proper ventilation and personal protective equipment should be used when handling lead (Pb) to prevent exposure to harmful fumes.

5. What factors can affect the strength of the bond between lead (Pb) and Inconel?

The strength of the bond between lead (Pb) and Inconel can be affected by several factors, including surface preparation, adhesive selection, bonding process, and environmental conditions. It is important to carefully consider these factors to ensure a strong and durable bond between the two materials.