Can Lattice Size Changes Reveal the Quantization of Space-Time?

In summary, Professor Susskind suggests that space-time can be thought of as a lattice of cells, and the use of annihilation and creation operators in the Lagrangian allows for particles to move within this lattice. Taking the limit as the lattice size approaches zero is the final step in this process. There is a theory called "canonical quantum gravity" that predicts a spacetime lattice, but it is still an ongoing area of research. The value of the delta mentioned in the conversation may provide insight into the quantization of space-time.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
In elementary particle theory, professor Susskind encourages us to think of space-time as divided into a lattice of cells. We use annihilation and creation operators in the Lagrangian to consume a particle in a cell and to create a new particle in an adjacent cell. Repeated application of Lagrangians cause particles to move. The final step is to take the limit as lattice size approaches zero.

I imagine a delta A-B, where A is the limit as lattice size approaches zero, and B is the limit as lattice size approaches the Plank length. Is such a delta meaningful? If so, does the value of that delta reveal anything about the underlying quantization of space-time?

By the way, it thrills me that there exists a forum such as this where one can post such questions and get illuminating answers. Thank you all for being so generous with your time to assist amateurs struggling to understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure I understand your delta question, but I can tell you there is an in-the-making quantum theory of gravitation called "canonical quantum gravity," also known as "loop quantum gravity" for historical reasons. This is a quantum theory of spacetime that predicts a spacetime lattice. It is an active area of research, though the underdog of quantum gravity to be sure.

Related to Can Lattice Size Changes Reveal the Quantization of Space-Time?

1. What is the Plank length lattice size?

The Plank length lattice size is the smallest unit of measurement in the universe, according to the Plank scale theory. It is approximately 1.6 x 10^-35 meters.

2. Why is the Plank length lattice size important?

The Plank length lattice size is important because it is the scale at which quantum gravity effects are believed to occur. It is also the smallest possible length that can be measured according to the theory.

3. How is the Plank length lattice size calculated?

The Plank length lattice size is calculated using fundamental constants such as the speed of light, the gravitational constant, and the Plank constant. These constants are combined to create a unit of length that is independent of any other physical constant.

4. Can the Plank length lattice size be observed or measured?

No, the Plank length lattice size is so small that it is currently impossible to observe or measure directly. It is purely a theoretical concept based on the Plank scale theory.

5. Is the Plank length lattice size the smallest possible unit of measurement?

According to the Plank scale theory, yes. However, some scientists believe that there may be even smaller units of measurement that have yet to be discovered.