Can Jensen's Inequality Solve the Inequality Challenge III?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the inequality $e^{1/e}+e^{1/\pi} \geqslant 2e^{1/3}$ using two different methods. The first method uses the AM-GM inequality to show that $e^{1/e}+e^{1/\pi} \geqslant 2\sqrt{e^{1/e}e^{1/\pi}}$, and then uses the fact that $e<11/4$ and $\pi < 16/5$ to further simplify the expression and prove that it is greater than $2e^{1/3}$. The second method uses the Jensen inequality to directly prove that $e^{1/e}
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Show that $e^\dfrac{1}{e}_{\phantom{i}}+e^{\dfrac{1}{\pi}}_{\phantom{i}} \ge2e^{\dfrac{1}{3}}_{\phantom{i}}$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Show that $e^{1/e}+e^{1/\pi} \geqslant 2e^{1/3}$.
[sp]AM-GM: $e^{1/e}+e^{1/\pi} \geqslant 2\sqrt{\mathstrut e^{1/e}e^{1/\pi}} = 2\exp\Bigl(\frac12\bigl(\frac1e + \frac1\pi\bigr)\Bigr)$. By AM-GM again, $\frac12\bigl(\frac1e + \frac1\pi\bigr) \geqslant \sqrt{\frac1{e\pi}}.$ but $e<11/4$ and $\pi < 16/5$, so $e\pi <176/20 <9.$ Thus $\sqrt{e\pi} <3$, and $\sqrt{\frac1{e\pi}} > \frac13$. Therefore $2\exp\Bigl(\frac12\bigl(\frac1e + \frac1\pi\bigr)\Bigr) > 2e^{1/3}.$[/sp]

Last edited:
Thank you Opalg for participating!

Here is another method(not my own product) that used the Jensen inequality as the main weapon to crack this problem:

Consider the function $f(x)=e^{\dfrac{1}{x}}_{\phantom{i}}$ for $x>0$.

We have $f'(x)=-\dfrac{\dfrac{1}{x}}{e^{\dfrac{1}{x}}_{\phantom{i}}}<0$, and $f''(x)=e^{\dfrac{1}{x}}_{\phantom{i}}\left(\dfrac{2}{x^3}+\dfrac{1}{x^4} \right)>0$, hence $f$ is decreasing and convex.

By the Jensen Inequality formula, we have

$\dfrac{1}{2}(f(e)+f(\pi))\ge f\left( \dfrac{e+\pi}{2} \right)$

On the other hand, we have $\dfrac{e+\pi}{2}<3$ and since $f$ is decreasing, $f\left( \dfrac{e+\pi}{2} \right)>f(s)$ and from here the result follows.

Related to Can Jensen's Inequality Solve the Inequality Challenge III?

1. What is "Inequality Challenge III"?

"Inequality Challenge III" is a scientific research project that aims to study and address the issue of social and economic inequality in our society. It involves conducting experiments, analyzing data, and proposing solutions to reduce inequality.

2. Why is "Inequality Challenge III" important?

Inequality is a growing problem that has significant consequences on individuals, communities, and society as a whole. "Inequality Challenge III" is important because it allows us to better understand the root causes of inequality and develop evidence-based strategies to address it.

3. Who can participate in "Inequality Challenge III"?

Anyone with a background in science or a related field can participate in "Inequality Challenge III". This includes researchers, scientists, economists, and policymakers. Participants can also include individuals from marginalized communities who have a personal interest in addressing inequality.

4. What are the expected outcomes of "Inequality Challenge III"?

The expected outcomes of "Inequality Challenge III" include new insights and knowledge on the causes and consequences of inequality, as well as potential solutions to reduce it. This research can also inform policy and decision-making processes to promote greater equality and social justice.

5. How can I get involved in "Inequality Challenge III"?

If you are interested in participating in "Inequality Challenge III", you can reach out to the project organizers or research team to learn more about current opportunities. You can also support the project by sharing information about it with your network or donating to research efforts.