Can irreducible 4th degree factors be factored into proper rational functions?

In summary, any proper rational function can be expressed as a sum of simpler rational functions with linear or irreducible quadratic denominators. However, there is no easy way to decompose a fourth-degree polynomial with irreducible factors, unless you delve into the general solution of a fourth-degree equation or manually find its zeroes.
rootX
It says in my book that
a any function can be decomposed to some sum of strictly proper rational functions where the denominator of each rational function is either consist of linear functions, irreducible quadratic functions.

"Any proper rational function can be expressed as a sum of simpler rational functions whose den's are either linear functions or irreducible quadratic functions." [here's the exact wording]

I was thinking what happens when the denominator has a irreducible 4th degree factor?

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not have irreducible 4th degree polynomials; every polynomial with real coefficients can be factorized in terms of linear and quadratic polynomials with real coefficients.

A fourth-degree real polynomial whose roots are all complex can be decomposed into two irreducible real quadratic polynomial factors.

For example,
[tex]x^{4}+1=(x^{2}+\sqrt{2}x+1)(x^{2}-\sqrt{2}x+1)[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks.

But is there a way to decompose 4th powers into quadratics?
I saw that example yesterday in my book, but it does not mention any strategy to do this.
I don't see any ><.

There is no foolproof manner of doing this, unless you delve into the cumbersome general solution of a fourth-degree equation.

That is NOT a simple procedure!

rootX said:
It says in my book that
a any function can be decomposed to some sum of strictly proper rational functions where the denominator of each rational function is either consist of linear functions, irreducible quadratic functions.

"Any proper rational function can be expressed as a sum of simpler rational functions whose den's are either linear functions or irreducible quadratic functions." [here's the exact wording]

I was thinking what happens when the denominator has a irreducible 4th degree factor?
Normally, "irreducible" means it cannot be factored into lower degree polynomials with integer coefficients. Any polynomial can be factored into linear factors over the complex numbers (the complex numbers are "algebraically complete"). Since any complex zeroes of a polynomial with real coefficients come in "conjugate" pairs, the pairs can be multiplied to give a quadratic factor with real, not necessarily rational or integer, coefficients. You notice that the example arildno gave had a [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] coefficient.

Other than "manually" factoring (very difficult if your polynomial has irrational roots) or otherwise finding the zeroes of the polynomial, I don't believe there is any simple way of factoring polynomials of large order. (And, of course, polynomials of order higher than 4 may have zeroes that cannot be written in terms of roots!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Can irreducible 4th degree factors be factored into proper rational functions?

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used in calculus to decompose a rational function into smaller, simpler fractions. This can be useful for solving integrals and solving equations involving rational functions.

2. How do you find the partial fraction decomposition of a rational function?

To find the partial fraction decomposition, you must first factor the denominator of the rational function into linear and irreducible quadratic factors. Then, each factor will have its own corresponding fraction with unknown constants in the numerator. The unknown constants can be solved for by equating the original rational function with the sum of its partial fractions.

3. Why do we use partial fractions?

Partial fractions can be used to simplify complicated rational functions, making them easier to integrate or solve for certain variables. They can also help to identify patterns and relationships between variables in the original function.

4. Can you give an example of a partial fraction question?

For example, given the rational function f(x) = (x^2 + 4x + 3) / (x^3 - 3x^2 + 2x), we can find its partial fraction decomposition by factoring the denominator into (x^2)(x-2) and setting up the equation f(x) = A/x + B/x^2 + C/(x-2), where A, B, and C are unknown constants. We can then solve for A, B, and C by equating the equation with the original rational function.

5. When do we use partial fractions in real life?

Partial fractions are commonly used in various engineering and scientific fields, such as control systems, signal processing, and differential equations. They can also be used in economics and finance to model and analyze complex systems. Additionally, partial fractions have applications in physics, chemistry, and other natural sciences.