Can internal pressure be equated to gas flow rate?

In summary, the OP is asking if it is possible to measure the amount of gas flowing from a hole in a box, given that the pressure in the box has stabilized at a specific value. They also wonder if the internal pressure can be equated to the flow rate, based on the hole surface area, box size, and external conditions being at STP. They mention the possibility of using a modified venturi meter or applying Bernoulli's principle, and ask for input on the matter.
inuyasha10121
Hello, first post here. I had a bit of an odd question that I can't get my head around, but I think is possible. Given the environment described in the picture, can you measure the amount of gas that is flowing from the hole in the box given that the pressure in the box has stabilized at a specific value? I don't even know if its possible for the pressure to stabilize, but assuming that the solution is producing a steady amount of gas and that the reaction is never ending, can the internal pressure be equated to the flow rate given a set hole surface area, box size, and conditions externally being at STP?

My thoughts: It seems to me that this is a sort of modified venturi meter, or that Bernoulli's principle should be applied, but I just wanted to get a few opinions on the matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
This OP is looking for the relationship between flow rate and pressure drop for an orifice. Google orifice coefficient.

Related to Can internal pressure be equated to gas flow rate?

1. What is internal pressure and how is it related to gas flow rate?

Internal pressure refers to the force per unit area exerted by a gas on the walls of its container. It is directly related to the gas flow rate, as a higher internal pressure will result in a faster flow rate of gas through a given area.

2. Can internal pressure be equated to gas flow rate in all situations?

No, internal pressure and gas flow rate are not always directly proportional. Other factors such as temperature, viscosity, and the physical properties of the gas can also affect the flow rate.

3. How is internal pressure measured and what units is it typically expressed in?

Internal pressure can be measured using a pressure gauge, which typically measures in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

4. Is there a mathematical equation that represents the relationship between internal pressure and gas flow rate?

Yes, there is a mathematical equation known as the Bernoulli's equation that can be used to calculate the relationship between internal pressure, gas flow rate, and other factors such as velocity and cross-sectional area.

5. Can changes in internal pressure affect the gas flow rate in a closed system?

Yes, changes in internal pressure can affect the gas flow rate in a closed system. For example, an increase in internal pressure can lead to a higher flow rate, while a decrease in internal pressure can result in a lower flow rate.