Can interferometers be built with multiple light sources?

In summary, two perfectly calibrated lasers at the same wavelength can be used to build interferometers, but they need to be phase locked to avoid drift. The effect is similar to using a single source of light, but described in terms of waves rather than photons. It is possible to place the lasers in different positions/angles and measure the same length using two lasers and a beamsplitter+detector at the intersection. However, the effect does not rely on the superposition of particles and can work with waves from different sources.
Xilor
Hi, it's probably a stupid question, but I was wondering if it's possible to build interferometers with two perfectly calibrated lasers at the same wavelength. Would the same sort of results appear as with a single source of light, or does the fringe shifting effect only appear when the photons come from the same source?

Science news on Phys.org
The two lasers need to be phase locked by coupling them together in some way, to avoid drift. This is not too hard to do and what you end up with is effectively one bigger laser.

I know it's tempting to talk about photons (by assuming that they help the explanation) but EM waves are waves too and you may as well describe what goes on in terms of waves. Trying to make a half arsed explanation that revolves around a flawed picture of photons is really not going to work. Photons are a LOT harder than waves! (Ask anyone who knows)

You mention that it would be like one bigger laser, to be sure that I don't misinterpret a small ambiguity: It is possible to place the two lasers in different positions/angles? Would it be possible to measure if two intersecting beams have exactly the same length by using two lasers and a beamsplitter+detector at the intersection?

I mainly used the word photon because I thought that the effect might rely on the superposition of the particles, which I figured could work differently if the arriving waves from the two possible travel directions came from two different sources.

Related to Can interferometers be built with multiple light sources?

1. What is an interferometer?

An interferometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the properties of light waves. It works by splitting a beam of light into two or more paths, then recombining them to create interference patterns that can be analyzed.

2. Can interferometers be built with multiple light sources?

Yes, interferometers can be built with multiple light sources. In fact, some interferometers, such as the Michelson interferometer, use multiple light sources to improve the accuracy of their measurements.

3. What are the advantages of using multiple light sources in an interferometer?

Using multiple light sources in an interferometer can increase the sensitivity and accuracy of the measurements. It can also allow for the measurement of different properties of light, such as polarization or wavelength.

4. Are there any limitations to building an interferometer with multiple light sources?

There are some limitations to building an interferometer with multiple light sources. It can be more complex and expensive to set up and maintain, and the interference patterns may be more difficult to interpret. Additionally, the interference patterns may be affected by any differences in the light sources, such as their intensity or coherence.

5. How are the light sources synchronized in an interferometer with multiple light sources?

The light sources in an interferometer are typically synchronized using a common reference signal, such as a laser or an atomic clock. This ensures that the light waves from each source are in phase and can interfere with each other, resulting in accurate measurements.