Can Initial Intensity Differ from Incident Intensity?

In summary, the equation Beta=10log (I/I (initial)) is used to calculate the difference in sound level between two intensities. The initial intensity should always be the reference intensity of I0 = 10^(-12), but in some cases, such as calculating the difference between two intensities, the initial intensity can be the intensity you were initially at. In the given example of a speaker producing 5W of sound and then increasing to 50W, the level of sound heard would increase from 10 dB to 20 dB. This is because the equation 10log (I/I (initial)) is used to calculate the difference in sound level, and in this case, the initial intensity is 5W and
vivekfan

Homework Statement

In the equation Beta=10log (I/I (initial)

is the I inital always the incident intensity 10^-12? Or if you are moving from one intensity to another, then can the initial intensity be the one you were initially at? For example, if you were moving from an intensity of 5 to 10, then could the initial be 5 instead of the incident intensity? If so, why?

Homework Equations

Given above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I actually solved a problem in which something went from an initial intensity to a final, and plugged in the initial intensity and got the right answer, but I am confused on why you don't always use incident intensity?

Physics news on Phys.org
In principle you should always use the reference intensity of I0 = 10^(-12).
However, suppose you want to calculate the difference in sound level when going from intensity Ia to Ib. Then mathematics tells you that

10log( Ia / I0 ) - 10log( Ib / I0 ) = 10log( (Ia / I0) / (Ib / I0) ) = 10log( Ia / Ib )

CompuChip said:
In principle you should always use the reference intensity of I0 = 10^(-12).
However, suppose you want to calculate the difference in sound level when going from intensity Ia to Ib. Then mathematics tells you that

10log( Ia / I0 ) - 10log( Ib / I0 ) = 10log( (Ia / I0) / (Ib / I0) ) = 10log( Ia / Ib )

Well, could you help me work through this problem...

A speaker is producing a total of 5 W of sound, and you hear 10 dB. Someone turns up the
power to 50 W. What level of sound do you hear?
(a) 10 dB, (b) 15 dB, (c) 100 dB, (d) 40 dB, (e) 20 dB

I don't know why I plugged in 50/5 for I and I initial after I used the math function you gave. Please help.

Related to Can Initial Intensity Differ from Incident Intensity?

1. What is the difference between initial intensity and incident intensity?

Initial intensity refers to the initial amount of energy or power that is present in a light wave or beam when it is emitted. Incident intensity, on the other hand, is the amount of energy or power that is present in the light wave or beam when it reaches a surface or passes through a medium.

2. Can initial intensity be greater than incident intensity?

Yes, it is possible for initial intensity to be greater than incident intensity. This can occur when there is a loss of energy or power as the light wave or beam travels from its source to the surface or medium where it is measured.

3. Why is it important to distinguish between initial intensity and incident intensity?

Distinguishing between initial intensity and incident intensity is important because it allows us to understand how much energy or power is being transferred from a light source to a surface or medium. This information is crucial in various scientific and technological applications, such as studying light absorption and reflection, designing optical devices, and measuring the intensity of light in different environments.

4. Can initial intensity and incident intensity be equal?

Yes, it is possible for initial intensity and incident intensity to be equal. This can occur when there is no loss or gain of energy or power as the light wave or beam travels from its source to the surface or medium where it is measured.

5. How can initial intensity and incident intensity be measured?

Initial intensity and incident intensity can be measured using various instruments such as photometers, spectrometers, or calorimeters. These devices can measure the energy or power of light waves or beams and provide accurate readings of initial and incident intensities.