Can Initial Guesses Improve Newton-Raphson's Root Predictions?

• Thread starter danong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Newton
In summary, the method of predicting estimated roots before implementing the Newton Raphson's iterative methods is not reliable due to the complex and unpredictable nature of the roots. Even small variations in initial points can lead to different convergence or no convergence at all. This process can also be time-consuming.
danong
Uhm i mean, actually how do we predict the estimated roots before we implement this?

Because i wonder if the estimated root is too big enough to predict and sometimes time-consuming, is there any way to predict the roots better and accurate before we implement the Newton Raphson's iterative methods? I am using plain subsitution into the function which sometimes have to check through all the numbers in order to get one estimated root beforehand.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Daniel.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We can't. One of the most famous "fractals" is the graph formed by looking at the three roots of z3= 1. These are, of course, 1, [itex]-(1/2)+ i\sqrt{3}/2[/itex], and [itex]-(1/2)-i\sqrt{3}/2[/itex]. Treat the x,y-plane as the complex plane, (x,y) corresponding to x+ iy. Taking each x+ iy as the "initial estimate" for Newton-Raphson, color the point "red", "blue", "green", or "black" according to whether the sequence converges to 1, [itex]-(1/2)+ i\sqrt{3}/2[/itex], and [itex]-(1/2)-i\sqrt{3}/2[/itex], or does not converge respectively. You will see large patches of "red", "blue", and "green" close to those respective roots but the boundary is extremely complex ("fractal"). In fact, every boundary point is a boundary point of all four sets simultaneously. It is possible that very tiny variations in choice of initial point will cause the iteration to converge to a different answer, or not converge at all.

(By the way, when I first programmed a computer (with a "graphics" terminal) to do that, it took almost an hour. Now the same program runs in less that 10 seconds!)

There are a few ways to predict estimated roots before implementing the Newton Raphson's iterative method. One approach is to use a graphing calculator or software to plot the function and visually estimate the roots. This can give you a general idea of where the roots may be located and help guide your implementation of the method.

Another approach is to use interval bisection or other root-finding methods, such as the bisection method or the secant method, to find initial guesses for the roots. These methods can provide a good starting point for the Newton Raphson's method and potentially save time in the iterative process.

Additionally, it may be helpful to consider the properties of the function, such as its behavior near the roots, to make an educated guess on the estimated roots. For example, if the function is continuous and changes signs at the roots, you can use the intermediate value theorem to narrow down the possible range of the roots.

Ultimately, predicting estimated roots before implementing the Newton Raphson's method may require some trial and error, but using these strategies can help improve the accuracy and efficiency of the method.

Related to Can Initial Guesses Improve Newton-Raphson's Root Predictions?

What is Newton Raphson's method?

Newton Raphson's method is an iterative algorithm used to find the roots of a given function. It is based on the idea of linear approximation and uses the derivative of the function to improve the approximation with each iteration.

What are the advantages of using Newton Raphson's method?

The main advantage of using Newton Raphson's method is its fast convergence rate. It can converge to the root of a function in fewer steps compared to other methods. Additionally, it is suitable for a wide range of functions and is relatively easy to implement.

What are the limitations of Newton Raphson's method?

Newton Raphson's method may fail to converge if the initial guess is not close enough to the root or if the function has multiple roots. It also requires the calculation of the derivative, which may be challenging for complex functions.

How does Newton Raphson's method handle complex roots?

Newton Raphson's method can handle complex roots by using complex arithmetic. The derivative of a complex function can be calculated using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, and the algorithm can be modified to work with complex numbers.

What are some real-world applications of Newton Raphson's method?

Newton Raphson's method has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is commonly used to solve equations in electrical circuits, optimize power flow in power systems, and find the roots of complex polynomial equations. It is also used in financial modeling to estimate the fair value of stock options.