Can Information Be Preserved on Closed Timelike Curves?

In summary, the concept of the arrow of time is based on the increase of randomness in a system over time, which becomes exponentially difficult to calculate the initial conditions of a closed system. This leads to a fundamental computational limit that may exist on a closed timelike curve. However, the preservation of causality in this scenario is ambiguous and may depend on the observer's ability to distinguish the order of events. This concept may have connections to thermodynamics and quantum mechanics.
I think a large issue with the hypothetical device we were contemplating is that we did not take into account the signal itself. Suppose we send a single photon with a wavelength λ[itex]_{}0[/itex] around a CTC, if the device detects a wavelength λ[itex]_{}0[/itex] + λ then we will represent this as a 1 if the device detects a wavelength λ[itex]_{}0[/itex] - λ then we will represent this as a 0. Because the proper time of light is zero we are forced to choose a hypothetical observer outside of the CTC that measures the proper time of our photons journey. If the proper time is sufficiently large enough such that the scale factor of the universe caused λ[itex]_{}0[/itex] = (+/-)λ then the photon was destroyed. The information the photon carried dissipated along the CTC.

Physics news on Phys.org
JPBenowitz said:
Suppose we send a single photon with a wavelength λ[itex]_{}0[/itex] around a CTC, if the device detects a wavelength λ[itex]_{}0[/itex] + λ then we will represent this as a 1 if the device detects a wavelength λ[itex]_{}0[/itex] - λ then we will represent this as a 0.

If the photon is emitted with a particular frequency, it must be detected with a particular frequency. There can't be any uncertainty about it. The whole scenario has to be self-consistent, and it can't be if there is a possibility of two different frequencies for the detection.

JPBenowitz said:
If the proper time is sufficiently large enough such that the scale factor of the universe caused λ[itex]_{}0[/itex] = (+/-)λ then the photon was destroyed.

This doesn't make sense. The universe can't be expanding or contracting as seen by an observer going around the CTC; if it did then the size of the universe at a particular event on the CTC would not have a well-defined value.

When I said "step back", I *really* meant step back. Scenarios with CTCs in them are highly counterintuitive; lots of ways we naturally think about scenarios simply don't work. My best recommendation is, draw a spacetime diagram of the scenario; let the "time" axis be vertical, and identify the top and bottom edges of the diagram (to properly model the fact that there are CTCs present). Then place the events of interest, like emission and detection of the photon, on the diagram, and remember that at each event, every physical quantity must have a unique, well-defined value. So far I don't think you've described a scenario for which that can be done; but in any case, doing it should be very helpful in avoiding inconsistencies.

JPBenowitz said:
Keep in this hypothetical would only a signal back in time from the it is turned on. The hypothesis is that no meaningful information can be sent backwards in time because it requires you to send the information down a maximally noisy channel. The information can never reach the because it is lost by virtue of traveling through the CTC. Whether or not the hypothesis is testable is not known but what I want to know is if it is mathematically possible.

Perfect state distinguishability and computational speedups with postselected closed timelike curves
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1008.0433.pdf
...Postselection of quantum teleportation in this fashion implies that an entangled state e ectively creates a noiseless quantum channel into the past...

read my post
Timelike Curves leads to violation of Heisenberg uncertainty Relation
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=624880

and the inverse, from the past to the future

Extracting past-future correlations using circuit QED
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1202.1230v2.pdf
Physical Review Letters. 109, 033602 (2012)

...We propose a realistic circuit QED experiment to test the extraction of past-future entanglement to a pair of superconducting qubits...Extraction of timelike entanglement from the quantum vacuum
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1101.2565v1.pdf.
Physical Review A 85, 012306 (2012) ...Here, we show that timelike entanglement can be extracted from the Minkowski vacuum and converted into ordinary entanglement between two inertial, two state detectors at the same spatial location | one coupled to the eld in the past and the other coupled to the eld in the future...

Last edited:
JPBenowitz said:
The arrow of time is globally derived from the global increase of entropy.

There is no arrow of time. Time is only a sequence of events, and the next event to occur cannot precede those that have already occurred!
Those who only see a tired universe ignore the formation of plant, animal, and human life, according to organizing principles of genetic code. Then there's gravity forming galaxies and stars. You might consider materials at or near absolute zero, where the removal of 'random' thermal energy produces very orderly structures!

In an information theory sense as a system evolves in time it becomes more random, the system can be in more possible configurations otherwise known as states.

Try selling that to those who process information in their work, where their system requires order and consistency.

Likewise from the second law of thermodynamics a closed system cannot be reversed.

With radiation permeating the entire universe, a closed system is another one of those idealized non-concepts.

It cannot evolve backwards in time to its initial conditions.

Since there is no arrow, there is no direction in time.
Fundamental particles, atoms, molecules, and compounds return to their original states without going 'backward' because they can transition through a finite number of states, provided there is available energy.

I'll stop here since you don't have enough fuel to light the engine, let alone blast off.

Step outside the box of abstraction occasionally. If you have ideas, try them in real world scenarios to see if they still seem reasonable.

[/QUOTE]

phyti said:
Try selling that to those who process information in their work, where their system requires order and consistency.

Are you claiming that the computing devices these people (or the people themselves, for that matter) violate the second law of thermodynamics?

PeterDonis said:
Are you claiming that the computing devices these people (or the people themselves, for that matter) violate the second law of thermodynamics?

I checked, and no, I didn't claim that.
What's the penalty for violation?

phyti said:
I checked, and no, I didn't claim that.

Then I don't see how what you were saying is in any way inconsistent with what JPBenowitz said. He was talking (at least in the particular passages you quoted) about global properties of globally closed systems (and even if you are right that there are no truly closed systems short of the entire universe, the entire universe itself still counts as a closed system). You are talking about local properties of open systems.