Can Induction Prove the Sum of i^5 from 1 to n?

In summary, induction is a proof technique that involves proving a statement for a base case and then showing that if it holds for one case, it also holds for the next case. To prove i^5 sums, one would first show that the statement holds for n=1 and then assume it is true for n=k to prove it is also true for n=k+1. The use of i^5 in induction proofs simplifies the process by eliminating the i term. It is helpful to carefully choose a base case and write out the algebraic steps for each case. Successful induction proofs can be checked by plugging in different values of n.
Tom McCurdy
I was trying to help a friend do the following problem

Prove with induction

Sum of [tex] i^5 [/tex] from 1 to n =

[tex] \frac{n^2(n+1)^2(2n^2+2n-1}{12} [/tex]

we got it to

[tex] \frac{(k+1)^2(k+2)^2(2k^2+4k+2)+2k+1}{12} [/tex] but we can't seem to get it to go back to the orginal equation when you substitue k+1 into the orignal formula

Physics news on Phys.org
you might made an algebra mistake

try plug an integer into k... you'll see the numerator is odd and the denominator is even, which mean the answer is not even an integer...

check your algebra....

First, it is important to note that the original formula may have a typo and should be \frac{n^2(n+1)^2(2n^2+2n+1)}{12} instead of \frac{n^2(n+1)^2(2n^2+2n-1}{12}. I will proceed with the assumption that this is the correct formula.

To prove this formula using induction, we need to show that it holds true for the base case (n=1) and then prove the inductive step, which is to show that if it holds true for n=k, then it also holds true for n=k+1.

Base case (n=1):
When n=1, the formula becomes \frac{1^2(1+1)^2(2(1)^2+2(1)+1)}{12} = \frac{1(4)(3)}{12} = \frac{12}{12} = 1. This is indeed the sum of i^5 from 1 to 1, so the formula holds true for the base case.

Inductive step:
Assuming the formula holds true for n=k, we need to show that it also holds true for n=k+1. Substituting k+1 into the original formula, we get:

\frac{(k+1)^2((k+1)+1)^2(2(k+1)^2+2(k+1)+1)}{12} = \frac{(k+1)^2(k+2)^2(2k^2+4k+3)}{12}

Expanding this expression, we get:

\frac{(k^2+2k+1)(k^2+4k+4)(2k^2+4k+3)}{12} = \frac{2k^6+12k^5+30k^4+44k^3+38k^2+17k+3}{12}

Using the formula given in the problem, we can rewrite this expression as:

\frac{2k^6+12k^5+30k^4+44k^3+38k^2+17k+3}{12} = \frac{(k+1)^2(k+2)^2(2k^2+4k+2)+2k+1}{12}

We can see that

Related to Can Induction Prove the Sum of i^5 from 1 to n?

1. How do you use induction to prove i^5 sums?

Induction is a mathematical proof technique that involves proving a statement for a base case and then showing that if the statement holds for one case, it also holds for the next case. To prove i^5 sums using induction, you would first show that the statement holds for the base case of n = 1. Then, you would assume that the statement is true for n = k and use that assumption to prove that it is also true for n = k+1.

2. What is the significance of using i^5 in induction proofs?

The i^5 term, where i is the imaginary unit, is commonly used in induction proofs because it simplifies the process of showing that the statement holds for the next case. This is because i^5 = i, which means that the i term can be easily eliminated when working with complex numbers.

3. Can you explain the process of proving i^5 sums with an example?

Sure, let's say we want to prove that the sum of i^5 from 1 to n is equal to (n+1)/2. We would first show that the statement holds for n = 1, which would give us i^5 = 1 and (n+1)/2 = 1. Then, we would assume that the statement is true for n = k, which would give us the sum of i^5 from 1 to k = (k+1)/2. Using this assumption, we can prove that the statement is also true for n = k+1 by adding i^5 to both sides of the equation and simplifying. This would give us the sum of i^5 from 1 to k+1 = ((k+1)+1)/2, which is equal to (n+1)/2 as desired.

4. Are there any tips for making the process of proving i^5 sums easier?

One helpful tip is to carefully choose your base case. Since the i^5 term simplifies to i, it is often easier to choose a base case where the sum of i from 1 to n is equal to 1, rather than trying to work with a more complicated sum. Additionally, it can be helpful to write out the algebraic steps for each case, rather than trying to do everything in your head.

5. How can I know if I have successfully proven i^5 sums with induction?

If you have correctly followed the steps of induction and have shown that the statement holds for both the base case and the next case, then you have successfully proven i^5 sums with induction. Additionally, you can check your work by plugging in different values of n to see if the statement holds true for each case.