Can Identical Quantum Particles Have Different Energies?

In summary, in quantum mechanics, when performing an experiment to measure the energy of two identical particles described by the wavefunction Psi, the resulting energy values may be different due to the superposition of both states in the wavefunction. This is because the measurement process projects the state into the corresponding eigenspace, resulting in a probability of obtaining different energy values. The difference in energy values comes from the uncertainty in which energy state the particles are in, even though they were prepared in the same way. This is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.
touqra
Let say I have prepared two identical particle, both describable by a wavefunction Psi, whereby,
Psi = a*1 + b*2, where, 1 and 2 are two stationary wavefunctions.

If I perform an experiment to find out the systems' energy, this is equivalent to operating a Hamiltonian on Psi. Operating,
HPsi = H(a*1 + b*2) = a*E1*1 + b*E2*2
where, E1 is eigenvalue with eigenfunction 1,
E2 = eigenvalue with eigenfunction 2.

That means, I might get energy = E1 for the first particle from the experiment, and
energy = E2 for the second particle.

How can we get two different energy value E1 and E2 when I prepared both the particles exactly the same and both have the same wavefunction. So they must give me the same energy.
Otherwise, where does the energy difference E1-E2 come from?"

Physics news on Phys.org
touqra said:
Let say I have prepared two identical particle, both describable by a wavefunction Psi, whereby,
Psi = a*1 + b*2, where, 1 and 2 are two stationary wavefunctions.

If I perform an experiment to find out the systems' energy, this is equivalent to operating a Hamiltonian on Psi. Operating,

Not quite... If you perform an experiment to find out the system energy, you're
measuring the energy. Therefore, you're projecting the state into the the corresponding eigenspace.

You will measure E1 with probability |a|^2 and E2 with prob. |b|^2 and the final state will be either |1> or |2>.

touqra said:
That means, I might get energy = E1 for the first particle from the experiment, and
energy = E2 for the second particle.

How can we get two different energy value E1 and E2 when I prepared both the particles exactly the same and both have the same wavefunction. So they must give me the same energy.
Otherwise, where does the energy difference E1-E2 come from?"
This comes from the way you prepared the state. The fact that the wave function is a superposition of both states means that you're not sure in which energy state it is. For example, you could have shone a laser on an atom trying to put it into an excited state, but you're not sure whether a photon was absorbed...

I hope this will help you understand a little bit more of QM.
Best regards

The energy difference between the two particles in this scenario can be attributed to the concept of quantum superposition. In quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states at the same time, which is described by their wavefunction. In this case, the two particles are described by the same wavefunction, but they can still have different energies.

This is because when we perform the experiment to measure the energy, we are essentially collapsing the wavefunction of each particle into a single state. This means that each particle can only have one energy value at a time, even though they were described by a superposition of states before the measurement.

The energy difference between the two particles comes from the fact that their wavefunctions are not exactly the same. While they may be described by the same overall wavefunction, the individual components (1 and 2) may have slightly different properties, such as their location or momentum. This can result in different energy values when the Hamiltonian is applied to the wavefunction.

Additionally, the energy values (E1 and E2) are determined by the specific Hamiltonian used in the experiment. If the particles were prepared in a different way or if a different Hamiltonian was used, the energy values may be different.

In summary, the energy difference between the two particles can be explained by the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the concept of superposition and the effects of measurement on the wavefunction.

Related to Can Identical Quantum Particles Have Different Energies?

What is a Hamiltonian in experiments?

The Hamiltonian in experiments refers to a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the total energy of a system. It includes the kinetic and potential energies of all particles in the system.

How is the Hamiltonian used in experiments?

The Hamiltonian is used to calculate the equations of motion for a system in quantum mechanics. It can also be used to determine the allowed energy levels and transitions between them.

What are the key properties of the Hamiltonian?

The Hamiltonian is Hermitian, meaning it is equal to its own conjugate transpose. It is also time-independent, meaning it does not change over time. Additionally, the Hamiltonian is used to calculate the time evolution of a system in quantum mechanics.

What types of experiments use a Hamiltonian?

The Hamiltonian is used in a variety of experiments in the fields of quantum mechanics, quantum chemistry, and condensed matter physics. It is also used in experiments involving nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR).

How is the Hamiltonian related to other physical quantities?

The Hamiltonian is related to other physical quantities such as the total energy, momentum, and angular momentum of a system. It is also related to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system.