Can i work in IT security if I have a SEALED juvenile record of petty theft?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of working in IT security with a sealed juvenile record of petty theft. It is mentioned that prospective employers are not usually made aware of sealed records unless there is an adult conviction. The speaker suggests checking with the college's legal advisor or the NCJJ for more information. It is also noted that some security firms may value past offending for the ability to think like a criminal. The conversation ends with a quote from Bruce Schneier and a recommendation to read a blog series on breaking into security.
annoyinggirl
Can i work in IT security if I have a sealed juvenile record of petty theft?

I was 16 when i was caught shoplifting items worth $200 in total. Now 21 and studying Computer Science, I have to choose a concentration of Computer Science to study. I'm wondering if a SEALED juvenile record of pretty theft would prevent me from being able to work in IT security. Could I get a IT security job with private companies, given my sealed juvenile record? Would getting such jobs with the government be impossible or near impossible, since they have access to sealed records (correct me if I am wrong)? Are there any other areas of IT that my sealed juvenile record of petty theft would prevent me from entering?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the USA huh.
Prospective employers are not usually made aware of the existence of sealed records unless you have a conviction as an adult.
But I'm doing this from the outside and details can vary from state to state, and what I know may be too specific.

Caveat: I am not a lawyer...
Your college will have some sort of student legal advisor or service - you can check with them.
I think the NCJJ will be the people to ask for the definitive view - though it is the DCJIS that handles your CORI.
It's probably a good idea to check exactly what is and is not sealed. Various state and private agencies have whole web-pages dedicated to it.

Overall, security firms, as any, vary and some are very paranoid - while it is unlikely that any will be interested in juvenile offending enough to actually ask after sealed records, some may. There is no predicting what particular people will want to try to do... but, bear in mind, some security firms may value a bit of offending early on since designing security systems involves being able to think like a criminal somewhat. Short answer: it depends.

Others here will be able to regale you with stories and anecdotes of their own experiences in this area ;)

Likes annoyinggirl
Simon Bridge said:
In the USA huh.
Prospective employers are not usually made aware of the existence of sealed records unless you have a conviction as an adult.
But I'm doing this from the outside and details can vary from state to state, and what I know may be too specific.

Caveat: I am not a lawyer...
Your college will have some sort of student legal advisor or service - you can check with them.
I think the NCJJ will be the people to ask for the definitive view - though it is the DCJIS that handles your CORI.
It's probably a good idea to check exactly what is and is not sealed. Various state and private agencies have whole web-pages dedicated to it.

Overall, security firms, as any, vary and some are very paranoid - while it is unlikely that any will be interested in juvenile offending enough to actually ask after sealed records, some may. There is no predicting what particular people will want to try to do... but, bear in mind, some security firms may value a bit of offending early on since designing security systems involves being able to think like a criminal somewhat. Short answer: it depends.

Others here will be able to regale you with stories and anecdotes of their own experiences in this area ;)
Thank you very much for your advice. Bringing up the good point (i've never thought of that!) of firms valuing a bit of juvenile offence for their ability to think like criminals really illustrates that it depends.

Security requires a particular mindset. Security professionals -- at least the good ones -- see the world differently. They can't walk into a store without noticing how they might shoplift. They can't use a computer without wondering about the security vulnerabilities. They can't vote without trying to figure out how to vote twice. They just can't help it.
-- Bruce Schneier

Also see a blog series "how to break into security":
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/07/how-to-break-into-security-schneier-edition/

Simon Bridge said:
Security requires a particular mindset. Security professionals -- at least the good ones -- see the world differently. They can't walk into a store without noticing how they might shoplift. They can't use a computer without wondering about the security vulnerabilities. They can't vote without trying to figure out how to vote twice. They just can't help it.
-- Bruce Schneier
Also see a blog series "how to break into security":
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/07/how-to-break-into-security-schneier-edition/
sounds like me heh heh heh. thanks for sharing.

Related to Can i work in IT security if I have a SEALED juvenile record of petty theft?

1. Can a sealed juvenile record of petty theft prevent me from working in IT security?

It is possible that a sealed juvenile record of petty theft may not prevent you from working in IT security, but it ultimately depends on the specific company's policies and the severity of the offense. It is important to disclose your record during the application process and be prepared to explain the circumstances and demonstrate your rehabilitation.

2. Will a background check reveal my sealed juvenile record of petty theft?

In most cases, a background check will not reveal a sealed juvenile record of petty theft. However, some government and law enforcement agencies may have access to sealed records. It is important to be honest and upfront about your record during the application process.

3. Do I need to disclose my sealed juvenile record of petty theft if I am applying for a job in IT security?

It is always best to be honest and disclose your sealed juvenile record of petty theft when applying for a job in IT security. Many companies conduct thorough background checks and failure to disclose your record could result in termination if it is later discovered.

4. Can I get my sealed juvenile record of petty theft expunged?

It is possible to get a sealed juvenile record of petty theft expunged, but the process varies by state and the severity of the offense. You may need to consult with a lawyer to determine if you are eligible for expungement and how to go about the process.

5. Will my sealed juvenile record of petty theft affect my chances of getting a security clearance for an IT security job?

Having a sealed juvenile record of petty theft may affect your chances of obtaining a security clearance for an IT security job. It is important to be honest and disclose your record during the security clearance process and be prepared to explain the circumstances and demonstrate your rehabilitation.