Can I work at NASA with a B.S in physics and computer science?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a career in astronomy with a liberal arts degree and the importance of writing skills in the field. It also mentions the potential for working with NASA through graduate programs at universities near NASA centers. The speaker advises against limiting job opportunities by focusing only on one employer and highlights the fact that many projects are carried out by non-NASA employees.
Carnivroar
I go to a small liberal arts college but I have a good GPA, comfortably above 3.5, could be higher if I wasn't forced to take a bunch of writing courses that don't pertain to my major.

Could I go into astronomy with these two degrees?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unlikely.

But I've heard of people with only a B.S degree who get paid by NASA to complete their PhD. :confused: Not sure if that's realistic, only what I've read.

Carnivroar said:
But I've heard of people with only a B.S degree who get paid by NASA to complete their PhD. :confused: Not sure if that's realistic, only what I've read.

I didn't say it wasn't possible, I said it was unlikely.

NASA doesn't pay anyone to get a PhD, nor do they grant PhDs. However, they do have scholarships and programs for grad students through the students' own university. You have a decent shot at an astronomy or physics graduate program, and then you can apply for something like the GSRP or one of NASA's other programs.

Astronomers do a ton of writing - you need to be able to write papers, grants, proposals, and a lot more. Those writing classes are very closely related to what you think you want to do with your life, so certainly don't dismiss them. You'll also need to do a lot of reading and public speaking.

eri said:
NASA doesn't pay anyone to get a PhD, nor do they grant PhDs. However, they do have scholarships and programs for grad students through the students' own university. You have a decent shot at an astronomy or physics graduate program, and then you can apply for something like the GSRP or one of NASA's other programs.

That's what I had in mind.

eri said:
Astronomers do a ton of writing - you need to be able to write papers, grants, proposals, and a lot more. Those writing classes are very closely related to what you think you want to do with your life, so certainly don't dismiss them. You'll also need to do a lot of reading and public speaking.

I see, thanks. I'm not really aiming that high, just exploring my options. I'd probably work for NASA towards the end of my career when I have more experience, if I do go into that field.

Last edited:
Well, I can't speak for the future...

but what I can say is you should look for universities that are in the same cities as NASA centers. These Universities almost always have very strong ties to NASA. You'd pretty much be working with NASA staff day in and day out while technically being a student at the school. Several of my colleagues do this, and love it.

Be warned, however, that you're still a grad student, and not a NASA employee. It does help tremendously for getting connections though.

Carnivroar said:
I go to a small liberal arts college but I have a good GPA, comfortably above 3.5, could be higher if I wasn't forced to take a bunch of writing courses that don't pertain to my major.

Could I go into astronomy with these two degrees?

I'm always puzzled whenever I read this type of question.

It is already difficult enough to want to work in a particular field. Is there a reason why you want to work not only in a particular field, but for a particular employer??! Is there a reason why you want to narrow your job marketability that much and handicap yourself even more?

A lot of people are blinded by the "prestige" of working somewhere. Do you realize that a lot of the so-called NASA projects are actually done by people who are NOT NASA employee? Many people work on many NASA projects, but they are either university staff, contractors, etc. The same is true for CERN/LHC, Fermilab/Tevatron, etc.. etc.

Zz.

Related to Can I work at NASA with a B.S in physics and computer science?

1. Can I work at NASA with a B.S in physics and computer science?

Yes, it is possible to work at NASA with a B.S in physics and computer science. NASA hires a variety of professionals from different backgrounds, including those with degrees in physics and computer science.

2. What type of work can I do at NASA with a B.S in physics and computer science?

With a B.S in physics and computer science, you could potentially work in various areas at NASA, such as developing software for spacecraft, analyzing data from NASA missions, or conducting research in areas that require both physics and computer science knowledge.

3. Do I need any additional qualifications besides a B.S in physics and computer science to work at NASA?

In addition to a B.S in physics and computer science, it is recommended to have relevant experience and skills in the specific area of interest at NASA. This could include internships, research experience, or specialized courses in fields such as astrophysics or aerospace engineering.

4. Are there any specific skills or knowledge that would make me a more competitive candidate for a job at NASA?

Some skills and knowledge that could make you a more competitive candidate for a job at NASA include proficiency in programming languages, experience with scientific data analysis, and knowledge of space exploration and technology. Additionally, having strong communication and teamwork skills can also be beneficial.

5. How can I increase my chances of getting a job at NASA with a B.S in physics and computer science?

To increase your chances of getting a job at NASA, it is important to gain experience and skills in areas that are relevant to your desired position, network with professionals in the field, and stay updated on NASA's current projects and initiatives. Additionally, you can also consider applying for internships or entry-level positions at NASA to gain firsthand experience and make valuable connections.