Can I use two AC TRs with ONE neutral at sec. and prim.?

In summary: The bridge diodes are incorrectly connectedwhoever drew them didn't see their mistake or don't understandtake the top circuitvoltage from the 1/2 cycle coming out the top of the transformer winding is going both to ground and the V+ outputdon't think that will work too well ... the same error is perpetrated in bottom drawing as wellcorrectly drawn example ...The bridge diodes are incorrectly connected. Whoever drew them didn't see their mistake or don't understand. Take the top circuit. Voltage from the 1/2 cycle coming out the top of the transformer winding is going both to ground and the V+ output. Don't think that will work too well
Shady Artin
The situation:
I have one BMS (Building Management System) controller supplied from TR1 (220Vac to 24Vac transformer) and provides an analog control signal (0-10VDC) with the (-) of that DC being the same as the Neutral of the controller (from TR1) and should control a valve actuator.

The controlled valve actuator uses 24Vac supplied control circuit...supplied from TR2 (same as TR1 and primary winding are supplied from the same source "220Vac outlet").
The actuator control circuit has terminals:
1- G "24Vac"
2- G0 "Neutral and DC reference point"
3- X "control signal...DC 0-10V"

Now, the problem I'm afraid to face:
The actuator should have the control signal (0-10VDC) with a reference (-) that should be at the same time the 24Vac source neutral...Should I SHORT CIRCUIT TR1 and TR2 secondary winding neutrals or do what??

Note: Unfortunately, I cannot use one transformer for both the controller and actuator.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Shady Artin said:
Should I SHORT CIRCUIT TR1 and TR2 secondary winding neutrals or do what??
You can. I am a pessimist, and would insert a 1Ω resistor between them.

Likes Shady Artin
Shady Artin said:
The situation:
I have one BMS (Building Management System) controller supplied from TR1 (220Vac to 24Vac transformer) and provides an analog control signal (0-10VDC) with the (-) of that DC being the same as the Neutral of the controller (from TR1) and should control a valve actuator.

The controlled valve actuator uses 24Vac supplied control circuit...supplied from TR2 (same as TR1 and primary winding are supplied from the same source "220Vac outlet").
1- G "24Vac"

Now, the problem I'm afraid to face:
The actuator should have the control signal (0-10VDC) with a reference (-) that should be at the same time the 24Vac source neutral...Should I SHORT CIRCUIT TR1 and TR2 secondary winding neutrals or do what??

Note: Unfortunately, I cannot use one transformer for both the controller and actuator.

Thanks
As long as the "positive" terminals of the transformers are not connected two (to avoid paralelling the transformers) there should be no problem with the connection you are proposing. Indeed, if you are using a TN scheme, the neutral points should be common and at ground potential

Likes Shady Artin
Svein said:
You can. I am a pessimist, and would insert a 1Ω resistor between them.
What power rating should that resistor have?

xareu said:
As long as the "positive" terminals of the transformers are not connected two (to avoid paralelling the transformers) there should be no problem with the connection you are proposing. Indeed, if you are using a TN scheme, the neutral points should be common and at ground potential
Thanks

The resistor is not advisable. As I explained before, the neutrals must be solidly connected. If you want to protect the circuits (you should), you can used Miniature Circuit Breakers in each phase leg (not in the neutral in this particular case).

Shady Artin said:
What power rating should that resistor have?
0.25W is more than enough. The only current that should pass through the resistor is the current due to the control signal. The actuator should be connected directly to its transformer. The purpose of the 1Ω resistor is to break up any ground loops.

The transformers neutral must be solidly interconnected, without the resistor . Please check neutral earthing schemes. The control voltages are 0-10 V and fed from the controllers. As for the control signal: most probably the internal circuitry of the controllers isolate the 0-10 Vdc from the 24 Vac so no common ground will be expected. If you place a resistor in the control loop, you are disturbing the voltage signal (it´s not a 4-20 mA loop).

there's an unanswered question...

Shady Artin said:
1- G "24Vac"
How is that DC from TR1 derived?

EDIT i cut and pasted pictures below without checking closely enough
that author drew his diode bridges rotated 1/4 turn from correct orientation
rotate them 90 degrees CCW before using
see dave's post below
thanks Dave
(chagrin icon) :eek:

diode-bridge-single-supply.png

or

full-wave-rectifier-lc-choke-filter.jpg

or

diode-bridge-split-supply.png

In either of the latter two your TR1 transformer's centertap is already circuit common
so you also could tie the TR2 transformer to circuit common .
If the first, don't connect TR1's winding to TR2's winding.

Last edited:
jim hardy said:
there's an unanswered question...How is that DC from TR1 derived?

or

full-wave-rectifier-lc-choke-filter.jpg

or

diode-bridge-split-supply.png

In either of the latter two your TR1 transformer's centertap is already circuit common
so you also could tie the TR2 transformer to circuit common .
If the first, don't connect TR1's winding to TR2's winding.
Those bridge diodes are incorrectly connected
whoever drew them didn't see their mistake or don't understand

take the top circuit

voltage from the 1/2 cycle coming out the top of the transformer winding is going both to ground and the V+ output
don't think that will work too well ... the same error is perpetrated in bottom drawing as well

correctly drawn example ...
upload_2016-3-2_9-46-8.png
Did I miss something in the discussion, @jim hardy ?
Did you show those incorrectly on purpose to make a point ?Dave

Likes jim hardy
Likes davenn
jim hardy said:
Not at all and good catch ! Thank you !

I cut and pasted from a google search without checking close enough - mea culpa and THANK YOU

That guy pasted his bridge into his drawing 90degrees out !
http://www.interfacebus.com/Glossary-of-Terms-full-wave-bridge-rectifier-circuit.html
shame on him and me both.Sorry about that ...
no probs ... just wanted to make sure you weren't trying to teach the OP something and see if he could pick the problem LOLD

xareu said:
If you place a resistor in the control loop, you are disturbing the voltage signal (it´s not a 4-20 mA loop).
A 1Ω resistor? Even if your activation signal is as greedy as old-fashioned TTL (1.6mA), the voltage drop will be 1.6mV!

Svein said:
A 1Ω resistor? Even if your activation signal is as greedy as old-fashioned TTL (1.6mA), the voltage drop will be 1.6mV!
This is a matter of engineering, not laboratory tampering with circuits.

At any rate, this circuit belongs to a "power" rectifier, but I believe that for the 0...10 Vdc the control circuitry isolates the variable 0...10 Vdc from the 24 Vac input

Related to Can I use two AC TRs with ONE neutral at sec. and prim.?

1. Can I use two AC TRs with ONE neutral at sec. and prim.?

Yes, it is possible to use two AC TRs (transformers) with one neutral at both the secondary and primary sides. However, it is important to properly configure the connection to ensure safety and efficiency.

2. What is the purpose of using two AC TRs with one neutral?

The use of two AC TRs with one neutral is often seen in power distribution systems or in situations where two separate circuits need to be supplied with power from a single source. It allows for efficient use of resources and prevents overload on a single transformer.

3. Are there any safety concerns when using two AC TRs with one neutral?

Yes, there are potential safety concerns when using two AC TRs with one neutral. It is important to ensure that the connections are properly configured and all safety measures are in place to prevent short circuits or overload on the neutral wire.

4. Can I use any type of transformer for this setup?

No, it is important to use transformers that are specifically designed for this type of configuration. These transformers are often referred to as "dual-winding" or "center-tapped" transformers and have specific wiring diagrams for connecting the neutral wire.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using two AC TRs with one neutral?

One potential drawback is that the transformers may not share the load equally, which can result in one transformer becoming overloaded while the other is underutilized. It is important to properly size and configure the transformers to prevent this issue.