Can I Use JB Weld to Build DIY High Voltage Vacuum Feedthroughs?

In summary, the conversation is about building high voltage feedthroughs for vacuum systems using epoxy and alumina pieces. The question is whether JB weld can be used effectively for this purpose, and if the electricity will be able to pass through the epoxy without breaking down or connecting to other objects. It is suggested to test the dielectric strength of the epoxy before using it for high voltage applications. The need for making one's own feedthrough is questioned, as pre-made ones are readily available at reasonable prices.
SupaVillain
I want to build high voltage feedthroughs (vacuum) from epoxying pieces of alumina together, and then epoxying alumina strips on the outside to cover the spaces between. Can I use JB weld, as far as things go electrically? People have reported that JB weld is unexpectedly wonderful for vacuum.

Provided I have the correct amount of alumina per the amount of kv I am applying to it, the electricity won't break down or break through the linings of epoxy will it? It's very expensive to get blocks of alumina and machine them

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it would be useful to see a drawing of the feedthrough and where you intend to use the epoxy. Also what vacuum are you trying to maintain?

A vacuum of 10-4 torr, it's really not a question of design it's more about the epoxy, I am asking if the voltage will be able to move through the epoxy and connect to the vacuum chamber or other nearby objects within the voltages reach.

http://www.jb-weld.co.uk/technical-data-sheets

Unless you have the specs on it dielectric strength, or test it with at least twice voltage you intend to use I wouldn't use it. Why do you have to make your own feed through? Experimental rule: if you can buy a part that meets your needs at a reasonable price then buy it. High voltage vacuum feed throughs are common accessories for vacuum systems.

Related to Can I Use JB Weld to Build DIY High Voltage Vacuum Feedthroughs?

1. What is a DIY Electrical Feedthrough?

A DIY Electrical Feedthrough is a device used to safely and securely pass electrical wires or cables through a barrier or wall. It typically consists of a plug and socket system that allows for easy connection and disconnection of the wires.

2. How do I install a DIY Electrical Feedthrough?

The installation process for a DIY Electrical Feedthrough will vary depending on the specific product and the type of barrier or wall it will be installed on. However, most feedthroughs will come with detailed instructions and the necessary hardware for installation. It is important to carefully follow the instructions and ensure that the feedthrough is securely attached to the barrier or wall to prevent any electrical hazards.

3. Can I use a DIY Electrical Feedthrough for outdoor applications?

Yes, there are feedthroughs designed specifically for outdoor use. These feedthroughs are typically made with weather-resistant materials and have extra protection against moisture, dust, and other outdoor elements. It is important to check the product specifications to ensure that the feedthrough is suitable for outdoor use.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should keep in mind when using a DIY Electrical Feedthrough?

Yes, it is important to always follow safety precautions when working with electricity. Before installing a feedthrough, make sure that the power is turned off and the wires are properly insulated. It is also important to regularly check the feedthrough for any damage or wear and tear, and replace it if necessary.

5. Can a DIY Electrical Feedthrough be used for high-voltage applications?

It depends on the specific product. Some feedthroughs are designed for low-voltage applications, while others can handle higher voltages. It is important to check the product specifications and make sure that the feedthrough is suitable for the voltage requirements of your application.