Can I use ionized gas to make an electric arc at low voltage?

In summary, Dave thinks that you can create an electric arc with low current by using ionized gas, but high voltage is necessary. Additionally, he believes that devices like Tesla coils and Van de Graff generators use the same principles.
physics3456
I am exploring what electricity can do and I have a question.
First, can I use ionized gas to make an electric arc at low current?
Second, If I can do this, what kind of ionized gas could I use (that is bottled), can I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't believe an arc will form with low current. It is the current itself that is causing the arc by flowing through the ionized air and heating it up, causing it to glow brightly.

Drakkith said:
I don't believe an arc will form with low current. It is the current itself that is causing the arc by flowing through the ionized air and heating it up, causing it to glow brightly.

it will if the voltage is high enough :)

just think of a Van de Graff generator or Tesla coil. both work on the principles of very low current and very high voltage
or even the discharge of static electricity as you rub your feet across the carpet and discharge via your finger tip to the door knob

Dave

davenn said:
it will if the voltage is high enough :)

just think of a Van de Graff generator or Tesla coil. both work on the principles of very low current and very high voltage
or even the discharge of static electricity as you rub your feet across the carpet and discharge via your finger tip to the door knob

Dave

True, but does the same apply to already ionized gas? Of course this begs the question, how did you ionize the gas in the first place and keep it ionized? Also, aren't Tesla Coils and similar devices very high on the Peak Power, meaning that the current is actually very high during the arc?

rereading the OP's comments...

he seems to be under the impression you can buy pre-ionised gas
As far as I am aware this is physically impossible

physics3456
it is the high voltage potential across a sparkgap within a gas that causes ionisation of the gas. When the breakdown voltage is reached there is a discharge across the sparkgap (through the gas) that results in the ionisation of the gas.

From reading other posts over time on this forum, there seems to be a bit of discussion as to what happens first, the discharge or the ionisation.
The ionisation does provide an easier path for current to flow as with a lightning strike, say between cloud and ground. Tho you don't need ionisation for current to flow ... as in a vacuum tube. But you do need the presence of an ionised gas to see a spark

thats the way I understand it ;)

maybe one of our mentors will chime in

Dave

Related to Can I use ionized gas to make an electric arc at low voltage?

1. What is ionized gas?

Ionized gas, also known as plasma, is a state of matter where the atoms or molecules have been stripped of their electrons, creating positively charged ions and negatively charged electrons. This state of matter is highly conductive and can generate electric arcs.

2. How can ionized gas be used to make an electric arc at low voltage?

Ionized gas can be used to create an electric arc at low voltage by passing a high frequency, high voltage current through it. This causes the gas to become ionized and form a conductive path, allowing for the flow of electricity at low voltages.

3. What are the benefits of using ionized gas to create an electric arc at low voltage?

Using ionized gas to create an electric arc at low voltage has several benefits, including lower energy consumption, reduced risk of electrical shock, and the ability to control and manipulate the arc for various applications.

4. What are some common applications of ionized gas electric arcs at low voltage?

Some common applications of ionized gas electric arcs at low voltage include welding, cutting, and surface treatment. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and electronics for precision manufacturing processes.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using ionized gas to create an electric arc at low voltage?

Yes, safety precautions should always be taken when working with ionized gas electric arcs at low voltage. This includes wearing protective gear, properly grounding equipment, and following proper procedures to avoid electrical shock or other hazards. It is important to also be aware of any potential fire hazards and have proper ventilation in the workspace.