Can I use a new SSD Hard Disk to store data without formatting?

In summary, if you are using a brand new removed SSD HardDisk to store data, you may need to format it before use. However, some external SSDs may come pre-formatted. SSDs have a different IO speed compared to HDDs and are typically used for applications that require rapid access. For long-term storage of ebooks, the re-write limitations of SSDs are not likely to be a problem. It is recommended to leave some spare space on the SSD to extend its lifespan. Additionally, it is suggested to backup important data in multiple locations, such as using online storage services like Microsoft OneDrive or Google Drive.
fxdung
Can I use a brand new removed SSD HardDisk to store data without doing any thing at the beginning time(e.g without formating or other things)?I will use SSD to store ebooks(PDF,Djvu,epub,Audio files).
Can I open books when I attach the removed SSD to laptop?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
fxdung said:
Can I use a brand new removed SSD HardDisk to store data without doing any thing at the beginning time(e.g without formating or other things)?I will use SSD to store ebooks(PDF,Djvu,epub,Audio files).
Can I open books when I attach the removed SSD to laptop?
Brand new removed from what?

If it's already formatted with a to-you-acceptable structure, then have at it, but if its not formatted the way you want it to be, you will have to format it first. I would recommend that you connect it and examine its format and content. Please note that SSD IO isn't quite the same as HDD IO. If you're using windows, you can issue diskmgmt.exe from a command prompt. Various tutorials are available.

SSD is typically used for purposes wherein rapid access is especially important. E-books and such can generally be kept on less expensive slower HDD media because ordinary speeds will more than match the speed at which you can read text or listen to music. or watch and listen to AV files.

I have several SSDs, each of which I use for an OS and a set of program products. I try to keep SSD writes to a minimum, due to the fact that their longevity for repeated writes is much less than is that of HDDs. I try to keep enough RAM to keep paging to a minimum. If I'm doing IO intensive applications, I try to do as much in RAM as possible, and write only end results.

If you provide some more information about your situation, you may get some some more specific responses.

I will buy a new SSD from manufacture to store ebooks, because it exists for a long time compare with HHD.I do not know whether I need format it before using?I only store not erase them.

fxdung said:
I will buy a new SSD from manufacture to store ebooks, because it exists for a long time compare with HHD.I do not know whether I need format it before using?
In general SSDs packaged and interfaced external use are pre-formatted, and SSDs set up for internal use are not. The drives themselves are usually not significantly different on the inside, although there may be different buffers, buses, and connectors. The SSD manufacturer doesn't know what OS you plan to use you internal SSD with, and typically doesn't assume that you don't want it for use as a boot device. Formatting your new SSD is not hard to do, and full instructions and tech support options will come with a new drive.

Longevity of data for SSDs and HDDs is generally comparable; however, the vulnerabilites are different. For example, SSDs are less susceptible to shock, but cannot be reliably re-written as many times. For data that must be long-term archived, non-rewriteable media should be considered. I have M-Disc for posterity-level archiving, and in the mainframe world, backup to tape cartridges (which are rewriteable) is still in extensive use.

Last edited:
If you get SSDs that are large enough to leave 10% or 20% of spare space, then you can do a lot of re-writes before there is a problem with the SSD. In your usage case of long-term storage of ebooks, I don't think that the re-write limitations would ever be a problem. See this youtube video on the subject of SSD life expectancy.

So when I buy external using SSD from manufacturer,I can instantly use it without formating(I use Window 7 for my laptop)?

fxdung said:
So when I buy external using SSD from manufacturer,I can instantly use it without formating(I use Window 7 for my laptop)?
I doubt it. Why would a manufacturer pre-format a drive when (1) they have no idea whether you are going to use it with an Apple computer or a Windows computer and (2) formatting a drive is trivially easy

EDIT: OOPS ... I see you are talking about an external drive. Those, I think, DO come pre-formatted as sysprog said

If your laptop has USB, there are plenty of USB SSDs that you can just plug in and start using.
Like https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-extreme-500gb-external-usb-3-1-gen-2-type-a-type-c-portable-solid-state-drive/6185370.p?skuId=6185370&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=355&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA3abwBRBqEiwAKwICAzJHbQkxLTV72BLmRI_EzYGLXz0YZlb6CwDfhrxFIyQEtFSBlN6q0RoCyb0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

FactChecker said:
If you get SSDs that are large enough to leave 10% or 20% of spare space, then you can do a lot of re-writes before there is a problem with the SSD. In your usage case of long-term storage of ebooks, I don't think that the re-write limitations would ever be a problem. See this youtube video on the subject of SSD life expectancy.
I agree with you. In fact one can find ssd's that have a ten years warranty. You won't find a mechanical hard drive with such a warranty. Furthermore nowadays the ssd's already have the free space to extend their lifetime, hidden from the user, so that there's no need to keep a blank partition or so.
So even if the firmware of the ssd provides a hardcoded maximum number of writes per cell just to ensure data stays uncorrupted, the ssd should in average outlive a mechanical hard drive. It's not because it hasn't a maximum number of disk-spins hardcoded that it hasn't any limit.

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu and FactChecker
Quick format takes seconds to complete, why are you so against formating the drive you buy?

Also to use an SSD just for "storage" is a bit of a waste, it's really designed for fast access speeds. Your better off using a regular spinny disk and just copy the data to two locations. Anything you really don't want to lose shoudl be kept in two locations or backed up.

Another alternative is sign up for a free accuont with Microsoft OneDrive / Google Drive which give you a small amount of free online storage.

For e-books and commercial audio you can just use a decent quality flash thumbdrive : much cheaper.

Likes FactChecker
fluidistic said:
Furthermore nowadays the ssd's already have the free space to extend their lifetime, hidden from the user, so that there's no need to keep a blank partition or so.
That's interesting. Can you elaborate or link to an article?

Some drives can use online wear leveling where they move more static data to areas with higher write counts. This allows you to fill most of the drive with mostly static data then have write load spread over the entire storage area.

BoB

Likes FactChecker

Related to Can I use a new SSD Hard Disk to store data without formatting?

1. Can I use a new SSD Hard Disk to store data without formatting?

Yes, you can use a new SSD hard disk to store data without formatting as long as the hard drive is compatible with your computer's operating system. However, it is recommended to format the hard disk before using it to ensure proper functionality and to remove any potential viruses or malware.

2. Will using a new SSD Hard Disk to store data without formatting affect my computer's performance?

If the hard drive is compatible with your computer's operating system, using it to store data without formatting should not significantly affect your computer's performance. However, formatting the hard disk may improve its performance in the long run.

3. Is it necessary to format a new SSD Hard Disk before using it to store data?

No, it is not necessary to format a new SSD hard disk before using it to store data. However, formatting the hard disk can ensure that it is functioning properly and can help remove any potential viruses or malware that may be present on the drive.

4. Can I transfer data from an old hard drive to a new SSD Hard Disk without formatting?

Yes, you can transfer data from an old hard drive to a new SSD hard disk without formatting as long as the hard drive is compatible with your computer's operating system. However, it is recommended to format the SSD before transferring data to ensure proper functionality and to remove any potential viruses or malware.

5. What is the difference between formatting and initializing a new SSD Hard Disk?

Formatting a new SSD hard disk involves erasing all data on the drive and setting up a file system for storing data. On the other hand, initializing a new SSD hard disk involves preparing the drive for use with a specific operating system. Both processes may be necessary before using the hard disk to store data, depending on the situation.