Can I use a Calculus application on my calculator for the AP Calculus AB test?

In summary, the College Board allows calculators with built-in features, but the exam questions are designed to not favor students who use them. Students are allowed to bring calculators with programs, but they are not allowed to use calculator memories to take test materials out of the room.
Cursed
Alright, so I'm about to take the AP Calculus AB Test (the College Board one, of course), but I have a question:

Am I allowed to have any Calculus applications on my calculator? (My calculator is a TI-84 Silver Edition Plus, and it is approved.) I have a Calculus application that can do several things such as rotational volume, Euler's method, etc. I know I can't have any programs because you can store text, but I wanted to know about applications.

From the College Board site:
College Board said:
Care is taken to ensure that the exam questions do not favor students who use graphing calculators with more extensive built-in features.

The application was not built in, but I'm assuming it does some of the things that calculators with extensive built-in features do.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
AP: Calculus Board of Directors said:
Calculator memories will not be cleared. Students are allowed to bring to the exam calculators containing whatever programs they want.

Students must not use calculator memories to take test materials out of the room. Students that attempt to remove test materials from the room by any method will have their exam grades invalidated.
Link:http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/calculus_bc/calc.html"
Seems pretty clear to me. You can bring anything to the test but can take nothing out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Can I use a Calculus application on my calculator for the AP Calculus AB test?

What is the AP Test and why is it important?

The AP Test, or Advanced Placement Test, is a standardized exam administered by the College Board to assess a student's mastery of college-level material in a specific subject. It is important because it allows students to earn college credit and potentially skip introductory courses, saving time and money in the long run.

When is the AP Test offered and how do I register?

The AP Test is typically offered in May, with a few subjects offering alternate testing dates in June. Registration for the test is done through your school's AP coordinator, usually in the fall or early spring. Make sure to check with your school for specific deadlines and procedures.

How do I prepare for the AP Test?

The best way to prepare for the AP Test is to take challenging courses in the subject throughout high school. Additionally, there are many review books and online resources available to help you study and practice for the exam. Be sure to also review any materials provided by your teacher and attend review sessions if offered.

What is a passing score on the AP Test?

The scoring system for the AP Test is on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the highest score. While the definition of a "passing score" may vary depending on your individual goals and the policies of your chosen college, a score of 3 or higher is generally considered a passing score and may earn you college credit.

What if I do not do well on the AP Test?

Even if you do not receive a passing score on the AP Test, it is important to remember that it does not define your worth as a student. You can retake the test in future years, and many colleges do not require students to submit AP scores as part of their application. Additionally, the experience of studying and taking the AP Test can still greatly benefit your academic growth and preparation for college-level work.