Can I Use a 2/3" CCTV Lens on a 1/3" Camera?

In summary, the conversation is about using a smaller focal length cctv lens to improve the field of view (FOV) of a camera with a 1/3" format. The vendor is providing a smaller focal length for a 2/3" format. The person also wants to know the relationship between the diagonal length of the image pick-up device and the terminology used to represent its size. The expert suggests that a lens designed for a 2/3" chip will work fine on a 1/3" chip and may even have better image quality due to picking up a central portion of the image plane. However, more information about the chip is needed to determine the exact relation between its size and the terminology used.
i have a camera with 1/3 " format. I have a cctv lens in front of it with a focal length of 50mm. In order to improve my FOV i intend to use a cctv lens of a smaller focal length, and the vendor is providing me a smaller focal length for a 2/3 " format. i want to know if a cctv of say 25mm focal length, 2/3" format would work equally for a 1/3" format?

I also wish to know the relation that exists b/w the diagonal length of the image pick up device and the terminology that is used to represent the size of the image pick up device i.e the format.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear what you mean by 'improve'. "Increase"?

I'm also a bit confused by your second question- the CCD spec (1/4", 1/3", 2/3") refers to the diagonal dimension of the chip, which loosely correlates with the number of pixels.

yes, I intend to increase the FOV

And as far as the second question goes, I wish to know what that exact relation is .

You need information about the chip- pixel size and spacing, color filter (if present) to answer that, if I understand what you are asking.

A lens designed for a 2/3" chip will work just fine on a 1/3" chip- maybe even better, because the 1/3" chip will only pick up a central portion of the image plane, and aberrations are usually much less on-axis.

Related to Can I Use a 2/3" CCTV Lens on a 1/3" Camera?

1. Can I use a 2/3" CCTV lens on a 1/3" camera?

Yes, it is possible to use a 2/3" CCTV lens on a 1/3" camera. However, it may not be the best option as there are some limitations and considerations to keep in mind.

2. Will the image quality be affected?

Using a 2/3" CCTV lens on a 1/3" camera may result in a decrease in image quality. This is because the lens is designed for a larger sensor size and may not fully cover the smaller sensor, resulting in vignetting or blurring around the edges of the image.

3. What are the limitations of using a 2/3" CCTV lens on a 1/3" camera?

Aside from potential image quality issues, using a 2/3" CCTV lens on a 1/3" camera may also limit the range of focal lengths available. The focal length range of the lens may not be suitable for the smaller sensor size, resulting in a narrower field of view.

4. Can I use an adapter to make a 2/3" CCTV lens fit on a 1/3" camera?

Yes, there are adapters available that can allow a 2/3" CCTV lens to fit onto a 1/3" camera. However, it is important to note that this may not completely solve the potential issues with image quality and focal length limitations.

5. Are there any benefits to using a 2/3" CCTV lens on a 1/3" camera?

In some cases, a 2/3" CCTV lens may have better optical quality or a wider range of focal lengths compared to a 1/3" lens. In these situations, using an adapter to fit the lens onto a 1/3" camera may be a viable option. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential limitations and make sure the lens is compatible with the camera before use.