Can I use a 1.3A adapter instead of a 1.0A for my device?

• Thread starter Atomixx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Adapter
In summary, the user was seeking help with finding an adapter for their unit, which required an input of AC 220V 50Hz 17W and an output of AC 9V 1A. They were having trouble finding one with a European plug and wondered if it was possible to use a 1.3A adapter instead of the needed 1.0A. Another user responded that the found adapter would work fine as long as the current drawn was lower than the maximum output of 1.3A. The user was relieved and grateful for the help.
Atomixx
[SOLVED] 1.0 or 1.3A adapter problems?

Hi everyone!

I didn't know where to post this question so I posted it here.

I have a unit that needs an adapter with the following stats:

INPUT AC 220V 50Hz 17W
OUTPUT AC 9V 1A

It is completely impossible for me to find such an adapter. I've searched everywhere, and I even talked to electricians about it. They are very rare with European plugs (I live in Denmark), I don't even know if they exists..

BUT today I found an adapter from an old Nintendo machine in my house. It is ALMOST the adapter that I need. Here is the stats:

INPUT AC 220V 50Hz 17W
OUTPUT AC 9V 1.3A

As you can see the only difference is that the one I need has an 1A output and the one I found has a 1.3A output.

Is it possible to use a 1.3A adapter instead of the 1.0A? I've tried it quickly and the unit works with it, but I quickly turned it off again because I wanted to know if it was OK to use.

Hope you can help, I'm so tired of this problem.

Thanks!
Atomixx

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thread moved from GD to EE. Welcome to the PF, Atomixx.

Yes, the adapter you have found will work fine. The output current rating is a maximum, so as long as the current drawn is less than that maximum, it will work fine. Good find!

berkeman said:
Thread moved from GD to EE. Welcome to the PF, Atomixx.

Yes, the adapter you have found will work fine. The output current rating is a maximum, so as long as the current drawn is less than that maximum, it will work fine. Good find!

Thank you very much for your answer, I am very happy to hear that! Yeah I was very lucky that I found that Nintendo adapter (NES)!

Cheers

Kris

Related to Can I use a 1.3A adapter instead of a 1.0A for my device?

1. What is the difference between a 1.0 and 1.3A adapter?

The numbers 1.0 and 1.3A refer to the output current of the adapter, measured in amperes (A). Generally, the higher the amperage, the faster the adapter can charge a device. However, the difference in performance between a 1.0 and 1.3A adapter may not be significant depending on the specific device it is being used for.

2. Can a device designed for a 1.0A adapter be used with a 1.3A adapter?

Yes, a device designed for a 1.0A adapter can be used with a 1.3A adapter. The device will only draw the amount of current it requires, so using a higher amperage adapter will not damage the device. However, using a lower amperage adapter may result in slower charging times.

3. Why is my 1.0 or 1.3A adapter not working?

There could be several reasons why an adapter is not working. It could be due to a faulty adapter, a damaged cable, or an issue with the device itself. It is recommended to try using the adapter with a different device or using a different adapter with the same device to determine the source of the problem.

4. How do I know if my device is compatible with a 1.0 or 1.3A adapter?

Most devices will list the recommended input current for their adapter in the user manual or on the device itself. If the device does not specify a specific amperage, it is generally safe to use a 1.0 or 1.3A adapter.

5. Is it safe to use a non-branded 1.0 or 1.3A adapter?

It is generally recommended to use branded adapters from reputable manufacturers to ensure safety and compatibility. Non-branded adapters may not meet safety standards and could potentially damage the device. It is best to consult with the device manufacturer or do thorough research before using a non-branded adapter.