Can I Tip a Can By Spinning a Weight? An Arduino Experiment

In summary, the conversation is about building a device that can tip a closed can using a motor and an arduino. The question is whether spinning a weight around the vertical axis of the can would be enough to tip it or if action and reaction would prevent it from moving.
Max Johnson
I want to be able to tip a can by building a device that fits inside the can and is able to tip it even when the can is completely closed. I have a motor and an arduino to control it. Would I be able to tip it by spinning a weight around the vertical axis of the can? Or would action and reaction cause the can not to move?

Physics news on Phys.org
Max Johnson said:
I want to be able to tip a can by building a device that fits inside the can and is able to tip it even when the can is completely closed. I have a motor and an arduino to control it. Would I be able to tip it by spinning a weight around the vertical axis of the can? Or would action and reaction cause the can not to move?
You know about arduinos, but have never witnessed tiping a container from the inside? Kids these days...

Last edited:

Related to Can I Tip a Can By Spinning a Weight? An Arduino Experiment

1. Can spinning a weight on top of a can actually cause it to tip over?

Yes, it is possible for the can to tip over if the weight is spinning fast enough and if the center of mass of the can and weight is not balanced.

2. How does an Arduino factor into this experiment?

The Arduino is used to control the speed and direction of the weight's spinning, providing a more controlled and consistent experiment.

3. What materials are needed for this experiment?

You will need a can, a weight, an Arduino microcontroller, a motor, and jumper wires. You may also need a power source and a breadboard for the circuit.

4. Can this experiment be done without an Arduino?

Yes, it is possible to manually spin the weight on top of the can, but it may be more difficult to maintain a consistent speed and direction.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when conducting this experiment?

Yes, it is important to use caution when working with electrical components and to ensure that the can and weight are not too heavy or sharp to cause injury if they tip over.