Can I Take Inflated Coffee Bean Bag on Plane?

• Thread starter garytse86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary, the bag of coffee beans purchased from abroad on a plane may burst due to gas created from biochemical reactions. The tightness of the bag helps preserve the flavor but the gas diffusion rate is slower due to its density.
garytse86
Recently I bought a bag of coffee beans from abroad on a plane, now the bag is very inflated. I want to take the bag on a plane again, would it burst?

Physics news on Phys.org
garytse86 said:
Recently I bought a bag of coffee beans from abroad on a plane, now the bag is very inflated. I want to take the bag on a plane again, would it burst?

It may burst because of the gas created from biochemical reactions occurring in the beans. But the bag must not be so strong so the bust (if it happens) should be quite gentle.

It is good that your bag is tight to keep in the coffee flavour, however typically a "http://www.sweetmarias.com/goldfoilbag.14-16oz.jpg ; The rate at which gases diffuse is inversely proportional to the square root of its density.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Can I Take Inflated Coffee Bean Bag on Plane?

1. Can I bring a coffee bean bag on a plane?

Yes, you can bring a coffee bean bag on a plane as long as it meets the airline's size and weight restrictions for carry-on or checked baggage.

2. Is a coffee bean bag considered a liquid or gel for TSA regulations?

No, a coffee bean bag is not considered a liquid or gel. It is considered a solid item and does not need to be placed in a clear, plastic bag for TSA screening.

3. Do I need to declare a coffee bean bag at airport security?

It is not necessary to declare a coffee bean bag at airport security as it is not a restricted item. However, if you are bringing a large quantity, it is always best to check with your airline beforehand.

4. Can I open the coffee bean bag on the plane?

It is not recommended to open the coffee bean bag on the plane as the strong smell may disturb other passengers. It is best to wait until you have reached your destination to open the bag.

5. Are there any restrictions on bringing coffee bean bags from other countries?

Yes, there may be restrictions on bringing coffee bean bags from other countries due to agricultural laws. It is important to check with the customs regulations of the country you are traveling to before bringing coffee bean bags with you.