Can I switch from Comp Sci to Aerospace?

In summary, the conversation is about a person's interest in pursuing a Masters degree in Aerospace or Nuclear engineering in the USA. They are wondering if it is possible for someone with a BS in Computer Science and Electronics Engineering from another country to switch to these fields. The other person suggests looking at the admissions policies of specific graduate programs, as many do not require a specific undergraduate major as long as it is related.
Fariaz Haque
Hello. Currently i am interested on aerospace and nuclear engineering in the usa. However i was just curious about something. Is it possible for a person who has completed BS in computer science and electronics engineering from another country to switch to Aerospace or nuclear engineering for MS in the usa? if the universities approve
my BS in CSE, will i be able to switch to Aerospace or nuclear for MS?
Thanks .:)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Many graduate programs don't require that you've majored in x-branch of engineering to get a masters degree in it, as long as you majored in a related field (another engineering branch, physics, math, etc.). You would want to look at the admissions policies of specific programs.

Likes Fariaz Haque
axmls said:
Many graduate programs don't require that you've majored in x-branch of engineering to get a masters degree in it, as long as you majored in a related field (another engineering branch, physics, math, etc.). You would want to look at the admissions policies of specific programs.
Thanks for the reply. :)

Related to Can I switch from Comp Sci to Aerospace?

1. Can I switch from Comp Sci to Aerospace if I have no prior experience in the field?

Yes, it is possible to switch from Computer Science to Aerospace even if you have no prior experience in the field. While having a background in Aerospace may be helpful, it is not a requirement for transitioning into the field. Many universities and colleges offer programs and courses specifically designed for students with a different academic background.

2. Will my credits from my Computer Science degree transfer over to an Aerospace program?

It depends on the specific courses and credits you have earned in your Computer Science degree. Some courses may be transferable, while others may not be applicable to an Aerospace program. It is best to consult with an academic advisor at the institution you plan to transfer to for accurate information.

3. How will switching from Comp Sci to Aerospace affect my career prospects?

Switching from Computer Science to Aerospace may open up new career opportunities in the field of aerospace engineering and technology. It may also provide a broader range of job options that require both computer science and aerospace knowledge and skills. However, it is important to research and understand the job market and demand for aerospace professionals in your desired location.

4. Will I need to take additional courses or complete a second degree to switch to Aerospace?

It depends on the requirements of the Aerospace program you plan to transfer to. Some programs may require additional courses to fulfill prerequisites, while others may offer a bridge program for students with a different academic background. It is best to research the specific program and its requirements to determine if additional courses or a second degree is necessary.

5. How can I prepare for a transition from Comp Sci to Aerospace?

There are a few ways to prepare for a transition from Computer Science to Aerospace. You can start by taking introductory courses in aerospace engineering or technology to gain a basic understanding of the field. You can also participate in extracurricular activities related to aerospace, such as joining a student club or participating in a research project. Additionally, networking and connecting with professionals in the aerospace industry can provide valuable insights and advice for the transition.