Can I Succeed in College with Dyscalculia?

• Schools
  • Thread starter FishmanGeertz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges faced by individuals with dyscalculia, a specific learning disability in mathematical comprehension, in regards to college-level math courses. Despite not needing advanced math for their chosen major, most colleges and universities still require students to take these courses as part of their general education curriculum. However, there is a possibility of accommodations being made, such as extra time on exams and tutors, for those with a learning disability. The level of math required for non-science majors varies depending on the school, but it is generally more advanced than high school courses. Business majors may also need to take courses in applied calculus and linear algebra, which can be more challenging.
FishmanGeertz
I have a mild case of dyscalculia. A specific learning disability in mathematical comprehension. Most colleges and universities require their students to take college-level math courses as part of the general education curriculum regardless of their major/minor. Because of my disability, I won't be taking any math-intensive studies like physics, engineering, or any of the other hard sciences. But is there a chance that much of the extremely difficult and advanced-level math could be omitted?

Within a few months time, I'll probably be going to either a community college or technical school. I can't afford a university (yet). I am concerned that my learning disability in math could make my college experience extremely difficult and unpleasant. In high school, I excelled at every other subject but math. I graduated with a 3.6 GPA.

How will a school help me if I have a disability in a certain subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
No college is going to require you take advanced math classes if you don't need them for your major. Most will let you get away with College Algebra, which is 9th grade math. They can give you some extra time on exams and maybe a tutor, but not more. They will not excuse you from taking math.

I would talk to the schools. If you can show medical evidence of your disorder, I don't see why they wouldn't do everything in their power to accommodate you. That having been said, I've never seen any school require extremely difficult and advanced mathematics for non-science majors. The most I've ever seen them require is college algebra, which is a breeze IMO. Of course, take that with a grain of salt. I'm an engineering major, so math comes easy for me.

I think your question was answered quite well in your last two topics. No offense but I don't see the need for multiple topics of the same things just worded differently.

Good luck with your future academics though.

Angry Citizen said:
I would talk to the schools. If you can show medical evidence of your disorder, I don't see why they wouldn't do everything in their power to accommodate you. That having been said, I've never seen any school require extremely difficult and advanced mathematics for non-science majors. The most I've ever seen them require is college algebra, which is a breeze IMO. Of course, take that with a grain of salt. I'm an engineering major, so math comes easy for me.

What about business majors?

FishmanGeertz said:
Again, find out from the schools. For instance, at my alma mater, all business majors are required to take one semester of applied calculus and one semester of business statistics. I don't know if those would still be too difficult for you to handle.

FishmanGeertz said:

Business majors need at least Business Calc. Perhaps Statistics, too.

FishmanGeertz said:
I have a mild case of dyscalculia. A specific learning disability in mathematical comprehension. Most colleges and universities require their students to take college-level math courses as part of the general education curriculum regardless of their major/minor. Because of my disability, I won't be taking any math-intensive studies like physics, engineering, or any of the other hard sciences. But is there a chance that much of the extremely difficult and advanced-level math could be omitted?

Within a few months time, I'll probably be going to either a community college or technical school. I can't afford a university (yet). I am concerned that my learning disability in math could make my college experience extremely difficult and unpleasant. In high school, I excelled at every other subject but math. I graduated with a 3.6 GPA.

How will a school help me if I have a disability in a certain subject?

Didn't you ask this same question, like, a week ago?

I imagine universities will accommodate you with tutors, extended time for tests, etc. But it's unfathomable to me that they would exempt you from all math courses.

Last edited:
I heard business majors also typically benefit greatly from a watered down linear algebra course. Now that is edging its way into 'advanced mathematics'.

Angry Citizen said:
I heard business majors also typically benefit greatly from a watered down linear algebra course. Now that is edging its way into 'advanced mathematics'.

Most of the math in the business world can be done with a pocket calculator.

FishmanGeertz said:
Angry Citizen said:
FishmanGeertz said:
Most of the math in the business world can be done with a pocket calculator.
I'm mightily confused now. So you worryingly ask how hard Maths is for business majors, get a response, and then snarkily respond how easy it is? Is this a joke?

What level of math is required for non-science majors in college? How much more advanced is it when compared to high school?

As far as my school goes (Ontario, Canada), math is not required at all for arts students (poly sci., history etc). Business students take a business calc class which is basically grade 12 calculus plus 2 weeks of integration. They also take watered down linear algebra, which if you put in a tiny bit of effort it will be easy.

About half of the conversation among engineering students is making fun of business students.

FishmanGeertz said:
What level of math is required for non-science majors in college? How much more advanced is it when compared to high school?

Are you not reading our replies? Once again, I tell you, it depends on the school you are in. At the college I went to:

... for Business & Economics majors, you need a semester of Applied Calculus ("regular" Calculus, which is more advanced, is ok) and a semester of Business Statistics (which has Applied or "regular" Calculus as a prerequisite). Both are more advanced than high school courses.

... for Sociology & Psychology majors, you need a semester of "Intro to Statistical Methods," which sounds like it has high school Algebra 2 as a prerequisite, so this class is somewhat more advanced than high school.

... for most other non-science majors, you have to take one math course. But some of these departments may suggest a course (the "Intro to Statistical Methods" is a common suggestion). Otherwise, you could take one of those math survey courses for liberal arts majors ("Topics in Modern Math," "Mathematics, Numbers and the Real World") which have no prerequisites listed.

brushman said:
About half of the conversation among engineering students is making fun of business students.

About half of the conversation among physics graduate students is making fun of pre-med students.

Geezer said:
About half of the conversation among physics graduate students is making fun of pre-med students.
About half of the conversation in my Calculus I class is making fun of College Algebra students.

I don't get the point, but I don't care. I'm one to follow the crowd.

Related to Can I Succeed in College with Dyscalculia?

1. Can dyscalculia hinder academic success in college?

Yes, dyscalculia can make it more challenging to succeed academically in college. Dyscalculia is a learning disability that affects a person's ability to understand and work with numbers, which can impact their performance in math-related courses and tasks. However, with appropriate accommodations and support, individuals with dyscalculia can still achieve success in college.

2. What accommodations can help a student with dyscalculia succeed in college?

Some common accommodations for students with dyscalculia in college include extra time on exams, the use of a calculator or other assistive technology, alternative ways of demonstrating knowledge (such as oral presentations or written essays instead of math tests), and access to a note-taker or tutor for math-related courses. It is important for students to work with their college's disability services office to determine the most appropriate accommodations for their specific needs.

3. Are there any strategies that can help a student with dyscalculia in college?

Yes, there are several strategies that can help a student with dyscalculia succeed in college. These include breaking down math problems into smaller, more manageable steps, using visual aids or manipulatives to understand concepts, seeking extra help from professors or tutors, and practicing math skills regularly. It may also be helpful for students to communicate openly with their professors about their learning disability and any accommodations or support they may need.

4. Can a student with dyscalculia pursue a degree in a math-related field?

Yes, a student with dyscalculia can pursue a degree in a math-related field. While it may present some challenges, with appropriate accommodations and support, individuals with dyscalculia can still excel in math and related subjects. It is important for students to advocate for themselves and seek out resources and support from their college's disability services office and professors.

5. Are there any successful individuals with dyscalculia who have graduated from college?

Yes, there are many successful individuals with dyscalculia who have graduated from college. Some notable examples include award-winning author and journalist Malcolm Gladwell, Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles, and Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Katherine Boo. These individuals have found ways to work around their dyscalculia and have achieved success in their respective fields. With hard work, determination, and support, individuals with dyscalculia can succeed in college and beyond.