Can I Retrieve a Lost Windows Admin Password?

• Thread starter aditya ver.2.0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary: Is there any other way apart from formatting the PC?In summary, there is a way to reset the admin password from another account, but it may be more difficult.
aditya ver.2.0
Yesterday,my brother locked my admin password by setting a random password unknowingly. Now I can't access that account. Please tell me, is there a way to know the admin password from other account or any other method to access the admin account.

Computer science news on Phys.org
aditya ver.2.0 said:
Yesterday,my brother locked my admin password by setting a random password unknowingly. Now I can't access that account. Please tell me, is there a way to know the admin password from other account or any other method to access the admin account.
You can reset the password from another admin account. Otherwise it will be more difficult. A simple Google search for "windows reset administrator password" will generate lots of possibilities.

I tried all but none worked.

aditya ver.2.0 said:
I tried all but none worked.
It's easier to help if you could be a little more detailed in what you tried and where you weren't successful.

"With great power comes great responsibility." -Uncle Ben.
If you do this on a computer you're not authorized to, "you go to jail bad boy." (Russell Peters)

Last edited:
Likes harborsparrow and aditya ver.2.0
Unsure what the video above shows, but I use Nordahl in times of need. It's free to download as well.

Likes harborsparrow
Routaran said:
It's a how-to for resetting any windows NT password.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/resetting-windows-password/

Haha thanks :) I only said that as I'm at work, so watching videos is something that I have to wait until I get home to do, and if it mentioned the software I posted about, just wanted to state that I wasn't sure what the video went over. I'll definitely check it out, though, as you can never have too many tools in your toolbox :)

aditya ver.2.0 said:
What version of os is it...?
Xp,7,8.1,10
I'll tell you then straight away... :)
Diffrent methods for diffrent os

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes harborsparrow
I have Windows 7 ultimate in my laptop.

Do you have your repair disk...? (Which I'm supossing u don't have)
If you have to follow this link...
http://www.howtogeek.com/96630/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-windows-password-the-easy-way/

Now the other way...
Can you get another bootable os through pendrive...
A bootable os is which you can run from ur pendrive,cd,sdcard,camera or anything that has storage...
Its always nice to have any os installed on ur pendrive (i would prefer ubuntu for biggners but you can anything you want... :) )
Go for 8 gb or higher pd for os installs...
You can carry your computer anywhere with you in 8 gb pendrive (Pd)...
Sorry i deviated from main topic but it is worth it...
So if you have bootable os say Ubuntu Linux(preferred)then open terminal...
Ahh wait I'll get the link...
http://www.chntpw.com/reset-windows-7-admin-password-with-ubuntu/You can find anything on internet :D
I came to know about chntpw when I was in class 8
I wanted to take down my floor incharges computer so badly... I had that kind of passion for getting into other people's system :)
Anyways hope it helps...

Want another way...
Just google it dude
"Just remember to take down networks Google is your best friend"
Any unsecured network shows so much info that u can just grab by google...

Anyways other left ways are either by bootable password changing disk as mentioned above by some one...
Or just asking the person who is the admin of the computer :p

haloboy777 said:
Do you have your repair disk...? (Which I'm supossing u don't have)
If you have to follow this link...
http://www.howtogeek.com/96630/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-windows-password-the-easy-way/

Now the other way...
Can you get another bootable os through pendrive...
A bootable os is which you can run from ur pendrive,cd,sdcard,camera or anything that has storage...
Its always nice to have any os installed on ur pendrive (i would prefer ubuntu for biggners but you can anything you want... :) )
Go for 8 gb or higher pd for os installs...
You can carry your computer anywhere with you in 8 gb pendrive (Pd)...
Sorry i deviated from main topic but it is worth it...
So if you have bootable os say Ubuntu Linux(preferred)then open terminal...
Ahh wait I'll get the link...
http://www.chntpw.com/reset-windows-7-admin-password-with-ubuntu/You can find anything on internet :D
I came to know about chntpw when I was in class 8
I wanted to take down my floor incharges computer so badly... I had that kind of passion for getting into other people's system :)
Anyways hope it helps...

Want another way...
Just google it dude
"Just remember to take down networks Google is your best friend"
Any unsecured network shows so much info that u can just grab by google...

Anyways other left ways are either by bootable password changing disk as mentioned above by some one...
Or just asking the person who is the admin of the computer :p
Thanks my friend, but all this will format the data in the PC that I don't want.:)

No no no none of the data will be formatted during any of these two ways...
I can't understand where u came up with pc formating...

The lesson here is that you managed accounts improperly or did not log off when you should have. Humans...

My suggestion (the may have already been suggested):
boot into Linux (a.k.a "a better OS")
$ sudo apt-get install chntpw

$ cd .../Windows/System32/config
$ sudo chntpw -l SAM
get the username of an ADMIN account (you may already know this)
$ sudo chntpw -u "USERNAME" SAM
type 2
type the new password
hit enter
type y
hit enter

You are done.

Likes aditya ver.2.0
mafagafo said:
The lesson here is that you managed accounts improperly or did not log off when you should have. Humans...

My suggestion (the may have already been suggested):
boot into Linux (a.k.a "a better OS")
$ sudo apt-get install chntpw
$ cd .../Windows/System32/config
$ sudo chntpw -l SAM
get the username of an ADMIN account (you may already know this)
$ sudo chntpw -u "USERNAME" SAM
type 2
type the new password
hit enter
type y
hit enter

You are done.
Thanks man, the trick worked:):)

Likes harborsparrow and mafagafo
Good to know.

Ouch

haloboy777 said:
Ouch
?

Nothing dude...

Related to Can I Retrieve a Lost Windows Admin Password?

1. What is the default Admin password for Windows?

The default Admin password for Windows varies depending on the version of Windows you are using. For older versions such as Windows XP and Windows 7, the default Admin password is typically blank. However, for newer versions such as Windows 8 and Windows 10, the default Admin password is usually set during the initial setup process.

2. How can I reset the Admin password for Windows if I have forgotten it?

If you have forgotten your Admin password for Windows, you can reset it by using a password reset disk or by using the Command Prompt. Alternatively, you can also use third-party password recovery tools to reset your Admin password. However, these methods may not always work and may even cause you to lose data, so it's important to regularly back up your important files and remember your password.

3. Can I change the Admin password for Windows?

Yes, you can change the Admin password for Windows at any time. To do so, you can go to the Control Panel, select User Accounts, and then choose the option to change your password. You will need to enter your current password and then create a new password. It's important to choose a strong and unique password to ensure the security of your computer.

4. Is it safe to share my Admin password with others?

No, it is not safe to share your Admin password with others. Your Admin password is meant to be kept confidential and should only be known by you. Sharing your password with others can compromise the security of your computer and put your personal information at risk. Instead, consider creating separate user accounts with limited privileges for others to use on your computer.

5. Can I disable the need for an Admin password on Windows?

Yes, you can disable the need for an Admin password on Windows by turning off the User Account Control (UAC) feature. However, this is not recommended as it can leave your computer vulnerable to security threats. It's always best to have an Admin password in place to protect your computer and data from unauthorized access.