Can I Modify My Printer PCB Board to Run Multiple Stepper Motors?

• Thread starter happyuser123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Board Pcb
In summary, you are trying to modify the Allegro A3977 Microstepping Driver to move the incoming signal for the stepper motor and send it to 2 additional stepper motor drivers. You are looking for an economocal solution for the project and you are also looking for help with the project.
happyuser123
Hi,

I have a epson c88+ printer, I am trying to modify the Allegro A3977 Microstepping Driver, to move the incoming signal for the stepper motor and send it to 2 additional stepper motor drivers, so that I can run 2 stepper motors off that same signal.

I have little experience in this field and I would greatly appreciate your kind help and support in guiding me true this project.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• this is the printer board c88+.jpg
    this is the printer board c88+.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 489
  • Closeup Photo.jpg
    Closeup Photo.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 447
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

From the pic it looks like 4 wires going to the stepper.
Is one pin connected to the ground plane/Vcc or do all 4 go to the IC.
You probably need an oscilloscope to check the pin relations when operating or you might get the same info from the stepper motor specs if you have that.

In the first case you can probably use three transistors as switches.
in the later you will probably need to use two pins to drive H-bridges.

Hi,

the stepper motor that's now connected is this: http://www.shinano.com/xampp/docs/SST41D.pdf

Also, how would I power the motors? and add that second driver for the second new stepper motor??

Last edited by a moderator:
If it would be possible for you to draw a quick diagram, so that I can understand your suggestion better, that would be extra greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for everyone that's so kind to help me with this project!

I found the diagram for the driver that I am trying to switch the signal from/currently on the board:

http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products/Part_Numbers/3977/3977.pdf

I am looking for the most economocal option for the project.

I would also greatly appreciate if you can please also list everything else I will need for this to work.

Thanks again!

happyuser123 said:
I found the diagram for the driver that I am trying to switch the signal from/currently on the board:

http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products/Part_Numbers/3977/3977.pdf

Ok, That's fairly complicated.
I suspect the simplest solution would be to get a couple more of these chips, replicate the chip local support circuitry, and fan out the original control lines to the new chips.

The other option looks to be designing a unity gain h-bridge current amplifier as this does not look like simple on/off step switching. Page 41 of the motor datasheet probably has more info on this, but you didn't include that page.

Good luck.

Related to Can I Modify My Printer PCB Board to Run Multiple Stepper Motors?

1. What is the purpose of modifying a printer PCB board?

The purpose of modifying a printer PCB board is to customize the functionality or features of the printer, such as adding new hardware components or upgrading existing ones. It can also be done to fix any issues or errors in the original PCB board.

2. Is it possible to modify any printer's PCB board?

In most cases, it is possible to modify a printer's PCB board. However, it is important to note that not all printers are designed with modifiability in mind, so it may be more difficult or even impossible to modify certain models. It is always best to research the specific printer model before attempting any modifications.

3. Can modifying a printer PCB board void the warranty?

Yes, modifying a printer PCB board can potentially void the warranty. It is important to check the warranty terms and conditions before making any modifications. In some cases, the manufacturer may offer specific guidelines for modifications that will not void the warranty.

4. What tools are needed for modifying a printer PCB board?

The tools needed for modifying a printer PCB board will depend on the specific modifications being made. However, some common tools that may be needed include a soldering iron, wire cutters, pliers, and a multimeter. It is also important to have a basic understanding of electronics and circuitry before attempting any modifications.

5. Are there any risks involved in modifying a printer PCB board?

Yes, there are potential risks involved in modifying a printer PCB board. These can include damaging the printer, causing malfunctions or errors, and potentially voiding the warranty. It is important to have a thorough understanding of the modifications being made and to take proper precautions to minimize these risks.