Can I major in Electrical Engineering and Biology?

In summary, if you want to be a biomedical engineer, you should major in electrical engineering and take courses designed specifically for biomedical engineers. Additionally, you may want to consider a second major in biology to help you cover the topics you may not learn in electrical engineering courses.
Jazmine
Can I major in Electrical Engineering and Biology and become a Biomedical engineer? I want to be a Biomedical engineer but the school I am going to only has environmental, electrical, and mechanical.

Physics news on Phys.org
Disclaimer: I'm not experienced in any of this, but I did some searching.

I went straight to job openings to see what they were looking for:https://www.monster.com/jobs/q-biomedical-engineer-jobs.aspx

They often say something like (minimum) B.A. in Biomedical Engineering "or equivalent." I think the emphasis is more on the engineering than the biology, but it looks like a double major would at least have you taking the right courses. Many of these are looking for a master's. Maybe do your double major for bachelor's and then seek graduate studies elsewhere?

Likes Student100
Many folks in the biomed engineering fields transition with undergrad degrees in Mech E or EE. Many employers prefer graduates from the quality Mech E and EE programs than from specific Biomed E programs, some of which have a reputation for being less rigorous.

You should also have a chance at your school to broaden your experience with internships and/or working in the lab or research program of a faculty member in the Mech E or EE departments. See which of them may be doing work related to Biomed E. Add that to a Mech E or EE degree, and you should be good to go.

I often see questions of the type "I want to study X but my school only offers Y" posted in these forums. I can understand that there are pressures to go to a certain school - scholarships, close to home, family expectations, etc. But it's important to take some time to really question why you are at the school you've chosen if they don't offer the program you want and consider changing schools if another program the aligns better with your long-term goals is offered elsewhere.

That said, of the biomedical engineers that I know, most came through electrical streams in their undergraduate studies. None had a second major as biology. That's not to say that learning biology would be a hindrance. I think it would help immensely. But from what I've observed the BMEs tend to pick up the biology they need in courses designed specifically for them.

Related to Can I major in Electrical Engineering and Biology?

1. Can I major in both Electrical Engineering and Biology?

Yes, it is possible to double major in Electrical Engineering and Biology. However, it may require careful planning and a heavy course load, as these are two distinct and challenging fields of study.

2. Are there any benefits to majoring in both Electrical Engineering and Biology?

Having a background in both Electrical Engineering and Biology can open up unique career opportunities, such as working in biomedical engineering or biotechnology. It can also give a well-rounded perspective on the intersection of science and technology.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a double major in Electrical Engineering and Biology?

The time it takes to complete a double major can vary, depending on the specific requirements of the school and the student's ability to handle a heavy workload. On average, it may take an extra year or two to complete a double major.

4. Are there any specific courses or prerequisites required for double majoring in Electrical Engineering and Biology?

Each school may have different requirements for a double major, but typically, students will need to fulfill the core requirements for both majors, including courses in math, physics, and chemistry. It may also be helpful to have some programming experience for Electrical Engineering courses.

5. What types of careers can I pursue with a double major in Electrical Engineering and Biology?

With a background in both Electrical Engineering and Biology, you can pursue careers in a variety of fields, such as biomedical engineering, medical device design, pharmaceuticals, and research. Some common job titles include bioengineer, biomedical engineer, or research scientist.