Can I "inspire myself" in a physics book in a podcast/video?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating a podcast or video inspired by a book without directly using its content. The person is wondering if they should explicitly mention the book in their work and asks for tips on avoiding copyright violations. The other person suggests giving credit to the source and notes that ideas cannot be copyrighted.
jordi
Let us imagine I want to create a podcast or a video, and I believe there is a book which is really spot on what I want to say.

Can I "inspire myself" in the book? Of course, in no circumstances I would use pictures of the book, or paragraphs from the book. All my words would be mine, so I would not be reading the book. But I want to follow its logical argumentations, in the way the book proceeds.

- Would it be good to explicitly say that I am following a particular book in the podcast/video?
- Are there specific tips what to avoid, and what can be done?

In the end, most books are "inspired" by previous books. I guess the border is quite blurry. I would like to know recommendations to be safe in legal and copyright terms.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you want to make any video or podcast as how to inspire yourself? How does it make sense?

I don't think there is any copyright violation ifs you say, are not presenting pictures from the book or reading directly from it.

I think that you should mention sources you were inspired by, as this will be useful to anyone watching your video and wanting more (let them also be inspired by it). Also, it is only fair to the author of that book to be credit for their work.

Likes jordi
Thank you. Yes, otherwise almost all professors would be violating copyright, right?

Sure, giving the right sources is essential.

jordi said:
Yes, otherwise almost all professors would be violating copyright, right?
Ideas can't be copyrighted.

Likes jordi

Related to Can I "inspire myself" in a physics book in a podcast/video?

1. Can I really inspire myself by reading a physics book?

Absolutely! Physics is a fascinating subject that can inspire and challenge your thinking. By reading a physics book, you can learn about the fundamental laws of the universe and gain a deeper understanding of how the world works.

2. How can a physics book inspire me in a podcast/video?

A physics book can serve as a great reference for a podcast or video discussing physics topics. By reading the book, you can gain a better understanding of the concepts being presented and use that knowledge to inspire your own thoughts and ideas.

3. Do I need to have a background in physics to be inspired by a physics book?

No, you do not need to have a background in physics to be inspired by a physics book. While some concepts may be more challenging to understand without prior knowledge, a well-written physics book can still spark curiosity and inspire new ideas.

4. Can I use a physics book as a source of inspiration for my own research or projects?

Yes, a physics book can be a great source of inspiration for your own research or projects. The book can provide you with new ideas or perspectives to explore, and the knowledge gained from reading it can help inform your work.

5. Are there any specific physics books or authors that are known for being particularly inspiring?

There are many great physics books and authors that can inspire readers. Stephen Hawking, Richard Feynman, and Neil deGrasse Tyson are all well-known authors who have written inspiring books about physics. However, the best physics book for inspiration may vary from person to person, so it's important to explore different options and find what resonates with you.