Can I Increase Torque on My Grinder/Polisher Without Changing Speed?

In summary, the individual has taken apart their grinder/polisher and adjusted a pot to lower the speed, which will be beneficial for their car as a paint flatter. However, the grinder/polisher lacks torque and they are looking for a solution to increase it. They suggest using a capacitor and resistor to dump pulsed currents through the motor to keep speed low but improve torque. Another suggestion is to increase the speed and add a reduction gearbox to the grinder/polisher. However, the individual prefers an electrical solution over a mechanical one.
Adder_Noir
Hi,

I took apart my grinder/polisher and adjusted a small pot in there and it lowered the speed right down which will be useful for my car as a paint flatter. Only problem is it lacks torque. I was wondering if it is possible to increase the torque. Access is ok and the project is a realistic one, perhaps unlike my car's alternator regulator.

I was thinking of using a capacitor and resistor to dump large pulsed currents through the motor every tenth of a second or so to keep speed low but beef up torque. Is this practical or is a different conceptual approach needed to improve the torque? I really don't want too much speed involved.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you may want to do is turn the speed back up on your grinder/polisher and add a reduction gearbox to the grinder/polisher, thus increasing torque and reducing speed.

Emicro said:
What you may want to do is turn the speed back up on your grinder/polisher and add a reduction gearbox to the grinder/polisher, thus increasing torque and reducing speed.

It's a good idea but I don't want to start messing with anything mechanical. I'd prefer an electrical solution it's much easier in the long run :cool:

Related to Can I Increase Torque on My Grinder/Polisher Without Changing Speed?

1. How can I increase the torque of a small motor?

There are a few ways to increase the torque of a small motor. One method is to increase the current flowing through the motor, which will result in a greater magnetic field and therefore more torque. Another approach is to use gears or pulleys to increase the mechanical advantage and therefore the torque output. Additionally, using a higher voltage power supply can also increase the torque of a small motor.

2. Can I use a different type of motor to increase torque?

Yes, different types of motors have different torque outputs. For example, a brushless DC motor typically has higher torque than a brushed DC motor of the same size. Switching to a more powerful motor with a higher torque rating can increase the torque output of a system.

3. Do I need to consider the load or weight being moved when increasing small motor torque?

Yes, the load or weight being moved will play a significant role in determining the required torque for a motor. It's important to calculate the torque required to move the load and then ensure that the motor being used can provide enough torque to overcome the resistance.

4. How does temperature affect small motor torque?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the torque output of a small motor. As temperature increases, the resistance in the motor's circuit also increases, which can reduce the current and therefore the torque output. It's important to keep the motor within its recommended temperature range for optimal performance.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when increasing small motor torque?

Yes, increasing the torque of a small motor can put additional strain on the motor and its components. It's important to make sure the motor is properly rated for the increased torque and that all connections and components are secure to prevent any accidents or damage. It's also important to follow all safety guidelines and precautions when working with electricity and motors.