Can I go into electronic engineering with an ECE degree?

In summary: In real life you just use a computer to handle the math.In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of getting a job in electronic engineering with a degree in electrical and computer engineering (ECE). The syllabus for ECE includes more electrical engineering than computer, but the person is interested in designing hardware systems and computer parts. There is also a discussion on the importance of coding and higher math skills in this field. It is suggested that courses in digital design, RF/microwave, and computer architecture would be useful for this career. It is possible to get a job with a bachelor's degree, but pursuing a master's degree in electronic/board design may be beneficial.
Chiner
I just got accepted to an electrical and computer engineering course (ECE) and I was wondering if its possible with this degree to get a job in electronic engineering. It seems that the syllabus covers more of electrical engineering than computer, but I'd like to get a job designing hardware systems and computer parts. I'm just so worried that I'll be stuck doing a job in something that I don't particularly like because of my degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a retired electronics engineer/project manager..

"Electrical Engineering" courses can vary a lot. Is it mostly Electronics or Electrical Engineering? At the university I went to these were two separate courses. For example is there anything in the syllabus on transmission lines? (I mean high frequency transmission lines as found on printed circuit boards not those on pylons across the countryside). Theory of Semiconductors? If it's more biased to Electrical Engineering (high voltage equipment, motor/generator theory, power distribution) then it might not be suitable.

The one thing I felt I missed was being able to code. My course didn't include any significant programming. Embedded microprocessors are everywhere these days and being able to do more programming myself would have helped.

CWatters said:
I'm a retired electronics engineer/project manager..

"Electrical Engineering" courses can vary a lot. Is it mostly Electronics or Electrical Engineering? At the university I went to these were two separate courses. For example is there anything in the syllabus on transmission lines? (I mean high frequency transmission lines as found on printed circuit boards not those on pylons across the countryside). Theory of Semiconductors? If it's more biased to Electrical Engineering (high voltage equipment, motor/generator theory, power distribution) then it might not be suitable.

The one thing I felt I missed was being able to code. My course didn't include any significant programming. Embedded microprocessors are everywhere these days and being able to do more programming myself would have helped.

My course is mostly Electrical. To be fair there is some computing involved, but the ECE course mainly focuses on the areas of communications, digital signal processing, and programming. This is some of what it includes: Advanced Random Processes – Multi-user Wireless Communications – Digital Communications with a Focus on Wireline – Channel Coding – Speech Signal Processing – Detection and Estimation – Model Order Reduction – Embedded Systems Design Lab – Advanced Digital Design

What do you mean by designing hardware and computer parts? Do you want to do board layout? Do you want to design in silicon? Are you interested in computer architecture?

There are many varied jobs and varied skill sets needed for them. Most will require some higher math, so don't skimp there.

Jeff Rosenbury said:
What do you mean by designing hardware and computer parts? Do you want to do board layout? Do you want to design in silicon? Are you interested in computer architecture?

There are many varied jobs and varied skill sets needed for them. Most will require some higher math, so don't skimp there.

To answer, I'd like to do board layouts or computer architecture. I'm aware that the math is going to be otherworldly but I'm ready to kick its ass in any case.

Following up on my question, is it possible for me to have a career in this field with a closely related bachelor's? Or should I pursue a masters specific to electronic / board design would be better?

Chiner said:
To answer, I'd like to do board layouts or computer architecture. I'm aware that the math is going to be otherworldly but I'm ready to kick its ass in any case.

Following up on my question, is it possible for me to have a career in this field with a closely related bachelor's? Or should I pursue a masters specific to electronic / board design would be better?
what school is this from? can you give us a list of their courses offered.

If you want to do digital board layouts and computer architecture then you're looking for classes like digital design, vhdl/verliog, etc.

If you're looking for RF stuff look for RF/microwave courses, fields and waves, etc

Chiner said:

Yes it is very possible to get a job with a bachelors (I did, as did all of my classmates).
You'll want to wait until you make a decision regarding a masters degree.

Chiner said:

Typically engineers don't do their own layouts, so I'll assume you mean board design. For the most part the math is quite simple (usually don't need to do more than some arithmetic) in board design. For most MS-level computer architecture jobs again the math is pretty simple... mostly bookkeeping.

The math is mostly hard in school as you're trying to turn complex concepts into intuition.

Related to Can I go into electronic engineering with an ECE degree?

1. Can I go into electronic engineering with an ECE degree?

Yes, an ECE (electrical and computer engineering) degree is closely related to electronic engineering and many universities offer similar coursework and opportunities for students in both fields.

2. What skills are needed for a career in electronic engineering?

Some key skills for electronic engineering include strong mathematical and analytical abilities, problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and knowledge of computer programming, circuit design, and electronic devices.

3. Are there any specific courses or electives I should take to prepare for a career in electronic engineering?

Yes, some recommended courses for electronic engineering include digital electronics, microelectronics, circuit analysis, and programming languages such as C++ or Java. Taking courses in related fields like physics and mathematics can also be beneficial.

4. What job opportunities are available for electronic engineering graduates?

Electronic engineering graduates can pursue a variety of career paths, including roles in research and development, design and production, quality control, and project management. They may also work in industries such as telecommunications, consumer electronics, and aerospace.

5. Is a graduate degree necessary for a career in electronic engineering?

While a graduate degree can provide advanced knowledge and skills in specific areas of electronic engineering, it is not always necessary for a successful career in the field. Many entry-level positions only require a bachelor's degree, but pursuing a graduate degree may open up more opportunities for advancement and higher salaries.