Can I get into geology with a major in physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a career in geology with a major in physics. The OP is currently attending a school that does not offer a geology program, but does have a program in geography with elective courses in physical geography. It is suggested that a major in physics with a minor in geography could provide the necessary background for a career in geology or further studies in geophysics. Another person also expresses a similar interest in meteorology and geology and asks about job opportunities with a degree in either field.
Luke Raulston
I want to get a career in geology but the school I am going to doesn't offer that. I am going because it is close to home and I am playing sports there. Can I get into geology with a major in physics or should I think of another career choice?

Physics news on Phys.org
To the OP:

Does the school you are going to offer a program in geography, with elective courses in physical geography? If so, then I would think that a major in physics with a minor in geography should be able to give you enough background to pursue a career in geology, or quality you for further graduate studies in geophysics.

Likes sivaswetha
Thank you that was very very helpful

Even I face the same issue. Right now I am doing B.Sc phy .. but I am highly interested in meteorology and geology. So I wanted to do pg in either of them.. can I get a degree? And what are the job opportunities?

Related to Can I get into geology with a major in physics

1. Can I pursue a career in geology with a major in physics?

Yes, it is possible to enter the field of geology with a major in physics. While a degree in geology is typically preferred, many geologists have backgrounds in related fields such as physics, chemistry, or engineering.

2. Will I need to take additional courses to enter the field of geology with a physics major?

It is likely that you will need to take some additional courses in geology in order to gain the necessary knowledge and skills for a career in this field. However, this will depend on the specific requirements of the geology program you are applying to.

3. Are there any specific areas of geology that would be a good fit for someone with a physics major?

There are several areas of geology that incorporate principles of physics, such as geophysics, geochemistry, and mineralogy. These fields often require a strong understanding of mathematical and physical concepts, making them a good fit for individuals with a physics background.

4. Will I have a disadvantage compared to someone with a geology degree when applying for jobs in this field?

While a degree in geology may give you a slight advantage, it is not uncommon for individuals with degrees in related fields to find success in the geology job market. It is important to highlight the skills and knowledge you have gained through your physics major and how they can be applied to geology.

5. Can I still pursue a graduate degree in geology with a major in physics?

Yes, many graduate programs in geology accept students with diverse undergraduate backgrounds, including physics. However, it is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in and potentially take additional courses to strengthen your geology knowledge before applying.