Can i get a masters of engineering with a physics degree?

In summary, the speaker has been studying physics since last year and is interested in combining it with engineering, specifically electrical engineering with a focus on robotics. They are unable to change schools at the moment, but are considering pursuing a master's degree in the future to combine their interests. The conversation also suggests taking relevant electives during their undergraduate studies to make the transition smoother, assuming they have sufficient programming skills.
nikos18523
i have been studying physics since last year... and i considered that i would like to combine engineering ...and especially ,electrical engineering(robotics ) ... i don't have the opportunity to change school right now so i considered if i can combine them at the future with a master degree . thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
You're talking to one right now.
BS in Math and Physics
MS in Physics
MA in Electric Vehicle Engineering

And another.
BS Physics
BS Engineering Physics
MS Electrical Engineering

If you have time take Signals & Systems and Control Theory as electives in your Physics BS. That will make the transition much easier. I am assuming your programming skills are sufficient. Also Embedded systems is easy to pick up.

Related to Can i get a masters of engineering with a physics degree?

1. Can I pursue a Masters in Engineering with a degree in Physics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Masters in Engineering with a degree in Physics. Many universities offer graduate programs specifically designed for students with a background in Physics who want to transition into Engineering. These programs typically include additional coursework to provide the necessary engineering knowledge and skills.

2. Will I need to meet any specific requirements to be eligible for a Masters in Engineering program?

This may vary depending on the university and program you are applying to. However, most Masters in Engineering programs will require you to have completed certain prerequisite courses in areas like mathematics, mechanics, and material science. Some programs may also require you to have a minimum GPA or relevant work experience.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a Masters in Engineering with a Physics degree?

Having a background in Physics can give you a strong foundation in mathematical and analytical skills, which are highly valued in the field of Engineering. This can give you an advantage in understanding complex engineering concepts and problem-solving. Additionally, a combination of Physics and Engineering can open up opportunities for interdisciplinary research and career paths.

4. Are there any disadvantages to pursuing a Masters in Engineering with a Physics degree?

One potential disadvantage could be the additional coursework and time it may take to complete the program compared to someone with an undergraduate degree in Engineering. You may also need to work harder to catch up on any engineering knowledge gaps. However, with dedication and hard work, these challenges can be overcome.

5. What types of job opportunities will I have with a Masters in Engineering and a Physics background?

A Masters in Engineering with a Physics background can open up a wide range of job opportunities in various industries such as aerospace, renewable energy, materials science, and manufacturing. Some common job titles for individuals with this combination of education include research engineer, product development engineer, and systems analyst.