Can I do a masters in math or...?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Logical Dog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Masters
In summary, the person is currently studying electrical engineering and computer science, but is interested in pursuing a master's degree in mathematics. They wonder if they can do a master's in mathematics with their current degree or if they would need to do another bachelor's. They also mention the possibility of doing a master's in applied math or theoretical computer science. They express an interest in discrete mathematics and wanting to become a professor/researcher. The other person suggests sticking with their current studies and taking electives in mathematics, as theoretical computer science is closely related to discrete mathematics. They also mention the value of a degree in mathematics and the possibility of working in a bank. The person clarifies that their logic is the "stupid" part, not
Logical Dog
Hello,

I know its early for me to ask as I only began my degree, I am currently studying electrical engineering and computer science..but I've realized I would like to go study mathematics.

Can I do a masters in mathematics ? would I have to take extra classes or will I be rejected?

Or do I do another bachelor (!) in mathematics after this one? another option is going for applied math masters like computational logic, math and computer science, etc..

what would be best? I really enjoy discrete mathematics and would like to be a professor/researcher if it is possible (not likely).

thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on your country, but in the netherlands. Do you already have your bachelor? I the netherland they would allow you to do
your master applied science with that background.

Likes Logical Dog
No. I just started.
I am doing this degree because I actually want to learn the skills here, but I also want to learn more pure mathematics which is kind of stupid i know. :frown:

Mathijsgri said:
It depends on your country, but in the netherlands. Do you already have your bachelor? I the netherland they would allow you to do
your master applied science with that background.

I would like to go to the UK or Netherlands too.

Mathematics is not that stupid, if you don't like the studie you do it is hard to finish it. With mathematics you can also work at a bank or something like that, my sister does math and she does een internship at a bank

Likes Logical Dog
Bipolar Demon said:
I am currently studying electrical engineering and computer science
Bipolar Demon said:
I really enjoy discrete mathematics and would like to be a professor/researcher if it is possible (not likely).
Theoretical computer science is very closely related to and intertwined with discrete mathematics. If you already know that this is the kind of the mathematics that you like to learn and do, then one could make a case for just sticking with your current studies of computer science and pursuing a theoretical CS track, opting for electives in (discrete) mathematics along the way. In this fashion you can focus on those parts of mathematics that (currently) interest you most.

Likes Logical Dog
Mathijsgri said:
Mathematics is not that stupid, if you don't like the studie you do it is hard to finish it. With mathematics you can also work at a bank or something like that, my sister does math and she does een internship at a bank

No I meant my logic is stupid! yes I know, very valuable degree if you can add some more skills to it..and extremely difficult too, honestly I am always a confused person haha

Related to Can I do a masters in math or...?

1. Can I do a masters in math or a related field without a math undergraduate degree?

It is possible to pursue a masters in math or a related field without an undergraduate degree in math. However, you will likely need to take some prerequisite courses to ensure you have the necessary background knowledge for the program.

2. Is a masters in math or a related field worth it?

It depends on your career goals and interests. A masters in math can open up opportunities for advanced research, teaching, and other math-related careers. However, it may not be necessary for all career paths.

3. How long does it take to complete a masters in math or a related field?

The length of a masters program in math or a related field can vary, but it typically takes 1-2 years to complete. Some programs may offer part-time or accelerated options.

4. What are the job prospects after completing a masters in math or a related field?

A masters in math can lead to a variety of job opportunities, including positions in research, education, finance, data analysis, and more. The demand for individuals with advanced math skills is growing in various industries.

5. Can I do a masters in math or a related field online?

Yes, there are many online programs available for a masters in math or a related field. However, it is important to research the program and ensure it is accredited and meets your academic and career goals before enrolling.