Can I Claim My Dying Grandfather's Nobel Prize-Worthy Discovery as My Own?

• Thread starter cube137
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nobel prize
In summary, if your grandfather accidentally discovered high temperature or even room temperature superconductivity and never completed the paper documenting the discovery, you may still be able to get a Nobel prize for the discovery. However, it would be a lie and would be scandalous regardless of whether you claim the prize yourself or have someone else claim it on your behalf.
cube137
For example your dying grandfather has made a breakthough discovery worthy of a Nobel Prize but he was dying and surely won't get a Nobel and he wants you to share it to the world and claim it as your own discovery. Would you still get the Nobel if the committee would find out it is your grandfather's discovery. What steps must be taken so it will be yours?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suspect that if they found out it would be scandalous regardless if done with his blessing. Lying is lying whether it is your idea to tell the falsehood or not.

If you had do work to finish the paper then you could put yourself as co-author. In any case it will never be completely yours regardless of what you may do.

BoB

Yep, fraud is fraud.

Ok. Supposed my grandfather couldn't finish it. And I hired physicists to finish it under my name or organization. Do I get a Nobel?

I love a good thought experiment. :thumbup:

cube137 said:
Ok. Supposed my grandfather couldn't finish it. And I hired physicists to finish it under my name or organization. Do I get a Nobel?
You don't get a prize for hiring people. Look at all of the Nobel prize winners that have worked for AT&T, the scientists in their employ get the prize, not the employers. The employers can brag that they funded and employed the scientists.

Supposed you accidentally discovered high temperature or even room temperature superconductivity... can you get a Nobel if you didn't have PH.D. but just being an undergraduate in chemistry? Or let's say you were self taught and didn't study school.. but you really discovered room temperature superconductivity.. do you get a Nobel?

cube137 said:
Supposed you accidentally discovered high temperature or even room temperature superconductivity... can you get a Nobel if you didn't have PH.D. but just being an undergraduate in chemistry? Or let's say you were self taught and didn't study school.. but you really discovered room temperature superconductivity.. do you get a Nobel?

There is ZERO requirement that the recipient of a Nobel prize in physics has any level of education.

So cube173, have you ran out of things to do to amuse yourself?

Zz.

Likes russ_watters and 1oldman2
ZapperZ said:
There is ZERO requirement that the recipient of a Nobel prize in physics has any level of education.

So cube173, have you ran out of things to do to amuse yourself?

Zz.

In the history of Nobel Prizes. Can you cite any physicist who doesn't have formal education yet got a Nobel? For example by say accidentally discovering something then reserve engineering it to discover the physical principle?

cube137 said:
In the history of Nobel Prizes. Can you cite any physicist who doesn't have formal education yet got a Nobel? For example by say accidentally discovering something then reserve engineering it to discover the physical principle?

1. A discovery doesn't always require the explanation of the physical principal. Do you think Kamerlingh Onnes actually had the physical explanation for superconductivity when they awarded him the nobel prize for its discovery?

2. No, there wasn't anyone who had won the Nobel prize who hadn't had a formal education, which stressed the importance of having such education to be able to make such discovery. However, the Nobel prize STILL doesn't have a requirement that one has to have a formal education as a criteria to receive such prize (go look at the Nobel website). You are confusing cause-and-effect versus something that is required.

3. What is the point in all of this? Have you ran out of realistic scenarios to learn about and study, and now you are going to waste time yapping about the things that are unlikely to occur? I can't believe that after finding such a valuable resource as this forum that THIS is all that you can think of to ask! What a waste!

Zz.

Likes berkeman
ZapperZ said:
I can't believe that after finding such a valuable resource as this forum

The term "valuable resource" may be inadequate in this context. The resources available on this site are priceless, it's an incredible collection of knowledge. :thumbup:

This thread is done. :smile:

Related to Can I Claim My Dying Grandfather's Nobel Prize-Worthy Discovery as My Own?

1. Can I legally claim my dying grandfather's Nobel Prize-worthy discovery as my own?

No, you cannot legally claim someone else's discovery as your own. Intellectual property rights are protected by law and it is considered plagiarism to claim credit for someone else's work.

2. What if my grandfather gave me permission to claim his discovery as my own?

Even with permission, it is still not ethical or acceptable to claim someone else's work as your own. It goes against the principles of scientific integrity and can damage your reputation as a scientist.

3. Can I still use my grandfather's discovery in my own research or publications?

Yes, you can still use your grandfather's discovery in your own research and publications, but you must properly credit him as the original discoverer. This includes citing his work and giving him credit for his contribution to the field.

4. What if my grandfather passed away before he could receive recognition for his discovery?

Unfortunately, it is not possible for someone to receive a Nobel Prize posthumously. However, your grandfather's contributions can still be recognized and remembered through proper citation and acknowledgement in the scientific community.

5. Can I claim my grandfather's discovery as my own if I made significant contributions to its development?

If you have made significant contributions to the development of your grandfather's discovery, you can be listed as a co-author or contributor in publications. However, the original discovery still belongs to your grandfather and should not be claimed as your own.