Can I charge a solar battery very fast with a large current?

In summary, the conversation discusses the safety and feasibility of quickly charging a solar battery using a large current charger. The formula for calculating charging time is mentioned, but its accuracy is questioned. It is also mentioned that not all batteries are designed for rapid charging and using a high current charger can cause damage or explosion. The conversation also touches on the capacity of the ultra capacitor and its potential to charge the battery. The importance of using a smart charger and consulting the battery's documentation is highlighted. Lastly, the concept of a "solar battery" is questioned.
jovel.happy

Homework Statement

[/B]
The main problem is if it is safe to charge a solar battery as quickly as possible assuming that I have a large current charger. Let's say I have:

70Ah Solar Battery
50 F, 15 V Ultra Capacitor

C = Q/V
Q = CV = (50)(15) = 750

I = Q/t
It = Q = 750 Ampere-second

E = 15 V
P = 11,250 Watt-second

so that means a fully charged capacitor has a rating of 11,250 Ws or 750 As
I think with this current it is possible to charge a 70Ah solar battery in a few moments.

Homework Equations

I've searched the net for the formula in order to know how long will it take to charge a battery and came across this:

h = (Ah of battery) / (A of charger)

so if we use the data above
h = 70Ah / 750A
h = 0.093 hr or 5.6 minutes

but I'm not sure if this formula is true or not, and if it is true, is it safe for the battery to charge it for a short amount of time.

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep on researching the net and asking people on the net.

Physics news on Phys.org
You definitely cannot charge any secondary cell in as brief a time as suits you. To withstand rapid charge, a cell has to be manufactured with that severe treatment in mind. I think it unlikely that a cell intended for gradual solar charging would be a rapid charge type. If it is not, then your rapid charging can cause it to explode or otherwise markedly shorten its life.

If you know the battery model and manufacturer, you should be able to find a data sheet applicable.

jovel.happy said:
I think with this current it is possible to charge a 70Ah solar battery in a few moments.
Which current? You did not calculate any current. As is a charge, not a current.
The capacity of your capacitor is very small compared to the capacity of the battery.

There is no way to charge it with 750 A. No element of your battery is designed for those currents, so the question is just "which part will fail first?". If you are lucky, you just lose the electric contact somewhere and the overheated parts does not break anything else. If you are less lucky, your battery might break physically.
Oh, and your capacitor probably cannot deliver that current either.

jovel.happy said:
The main problem is if it is safe
No.

jovel.happy said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
The main problem is if it is safe to charge a solar battery as quickly as possible assuming that I have a large current charger. Let's say I have:

70Ah Solar Battery
50 F, 15 V Ultra Capacitor

C = Q/V
Q = CV = (50)(15) = 750

That's 750 Coulombs

A 750AH battery can nominally deliver 750A for 1 Hour. So if fully charged it must contain at least..

750 * 60 * 60 = 2,700,000 Coulombs.

So your ultra capacitor only contains about

750 * 100 / 2,700,000 = 0.03%

of the charge needed to "fully charge" the battery.

It's not possible to calculate the current that would flow from capacitor to battery because you don't specify the internal resistance of either.

Is it safe to connect the capacitor to the battery (with some nice thick wire)? No. There is a risk the capacitor or possibly even the battery might explode or fail in a similarly spectacular way.

Most rechargable batteries, if they include documentation, will specify normal and quick charge rates in temrs of a factor x capacity / hours. Typically the "normal" charge rate is 1/10 C, for a 70 Ah battery, the charge rate would be 7 amps (10 hours to charge). For a fast charge battery, the rate might be 1 C, 70 amps (1 hour to charge), but that's a lot of amps, and probably more than what that battery can handle. See if you can find documentation for that battery. You'll also need a smart charger that is aware of the battery type, Nimh, LiPo, lead acid, ... .

jovel.happy said:

Homework Statement

What's a "solar battery"? ',ve heard of solar cells but never a solar battery.

Related to Can I charge a solar battery very fast with a large current?

1. Can I damage my solar battery by charging it with a large current?

Yes, charging a solar battery with a large current can damage the battery and reduce its lifespan. This is because the battery may not be able to handle the sudden influx of energy and can overheat or experience other malfunctions.

2. How fast can I charge a solar battery with a large current?

The speed at which a solar battery can be charged with a large current depends on the battery's capacity and the maximum charging rate it can handle. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's specifications for recommended charging rates to avoid damaging the battery.

3. Is it more efficient to charge a solar battery with a large current?

Charging a solar battery with a large current may seem more efficient since it can charge the battery faster. However, it may also cause the battery to lose some of its capacity over time. It is important to find a balance between charging speed and battery longevity.

4. Can I charge a solar battery with a large current using a regular charger?

No, a regular charger is not designed to handle the high current required for charging a solar battery quickly. Using a regular charger may result in damage to the battery and should be avoided.

5. What is the best way to charge a solar battery with a large current?

The best way to charge a solar battery with a large current is to use a specialized charger designed for high current charging. These chargers have safety features in place to prevent damage to the battery and can charge the battery quickly without reducing its lifespan.