Can I Charge a 12V 15Ah Battery with 60V 4A?

In summary, it is not recommended to charge a 12V 15Ah sealed lead acid battery with 60V 4A as it can cause damage and potentially be dangerous. Instead, lead acid batteries should be charged in three stages and within a certain voltage range to avoid overcharging and generating gas. It is important to follow proper charging methods to ensure the safety and longevity of the battery.
reddvoid
Can i charge 12V 15Ah sealed lead acid battery by giving 60V 4A to it's terminals ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oh, reddvoid! STOP! Do NOT apply SIXTY VOLTS with a FOUR AMP capacity to your 12 volt battery! If you do so, expect maximum smoke, fire, and possibly an explosion spraying sulfuric acid all around.

“Lead acid batteries should be charged in three stages, which are [1] constant-current charge, [2] topping charge and [3] float charge. The constant-current charge applies the bulk of the charge and takes up roughly half of the required charge time; the topping charge continues at a lower charge current and provides saturation, and the float charge compensates for the loss caused by self-discharge.”
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_the_lead_acid_battery

“Overcharging with high charging voltages generates oxygen and hydrogen gas by electrolysis of water,
These are general voltage ranges for six-cell lead-acid batteries:
Typical (daily) charging: 14.2 V to 14.4 V”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead–acid_battery

Oh, I had just posted this and now see that pantaz has posted one of the same references!

Thanks bobywhy, you saved my day :)

No, it is not safe or recommended to charge a 12V 15Ah battery with 60V 4A. This is because the voltage and current being supplied are significantly higher than what the battery is designed for. Charging a battery with too much voltage or current can cause damage to the battery and potentially lead to overheating or even explosion. It is important to always follow the manufacturer's guidelines for charging a battery to ensure its safe and proper operation.

Related to Can I Charge a 12V 15Ah Battery with 60V 4A?

1. How long does it take to charge a 12V 15Ah battery?

The time it takes to charge a 12V 15Ah battery depends on the charging current and the state of charge of the battery. Generally, it can take anywhere from 4-12 hours to fully charge a 12V 15Ah battery.

2. What is the recommended charging current for a 12V 15Ah battery?

The recommended charging current for a 12V 15Ah battery is 1.5 amps. This means that it would take approximately 10 hours to fully charge the battery.

3. Can I use a charger with a higher or lower voltage to charge a 12V 15Ah battery?

No, it is not recommended to use a charger with a higher or lower voltage to charge a 12V 15Ah battery. This can cause damage to the battery and potentially be dangerous. It is important to use a charger specifically designed for a 12V 15Ah battery.

4. Is it safe to leave a 12V 15Ah battery on a charger for an extended period of time?

It is generally safe to leave a 12V 15Ah battery on a charger for an extended period of time, as long as the charger has an automatic shut-off feature. This will prevent overcharging and potential damage to the battery.

5. How do I know when a 12V 15Ah battery is fully charged?

The best way to determine when a 12V 15Ah battery is fully charged is to use a battery charger with a built-in indicator or to use a voltmeter to measure the voltage. When a 12V 15Ah battery is fully charged, its voltage should be around 14.4 volts.